How to escape a water vortex

(that should read How to escape, not Hot to escape)

From this:

What method would be best for escape? moving in the direction of the swirl, against it, outwards or inwards, or some combo of them.

My Wag would be go with the flow at full power, using speed in the turn to help push you to the outside, then a diagonal run out (forwards/outwards)

Do not need answer fast.

That’s going down a drain. There’s no way that a person could swim out of that.

I didn’t say swim, nor person, just powered movement through the water. It could be a watercraft or a animal.

Yes you may need the momentum from the speed of water + engine,
to get up the slope. Perhaps centrifugal will help to edge you up the slope…
A sudden turn to go straight up the slope would be quite dangerous, because the water going under the vessel is quite fast… And anyway the turn would put the stern at a bad position, how does steering and propulsion work when its facing up a rough ripply slope ?

better to be parallel to the ripples, and carefully edge outward…

Can someone give me a bit of a refresher on the classics? How did Ulysses do it?

Here you go:

http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/mmarassa/mythology/cattle.html

There’s vortices in Dublin?

No.

…and even Lurgan is quite a long drive north…

Moderator Note

Fixed.

Here’s the story of Lake Peigneur in Louisiana. In 1980 the lake drained into a salt mine below it causing a vortex. One fisherman describes his escape. Plus cool video of barges being sucked in!

My wild ass guess is that there’d be a few too many variables to identify a single optimal solution.

For example, if you have enough power to point straight up the incline (that is, pretty much radially outward) and make really good headway, do that, allowing your craft to sideslip with the current (taking advantage of the centrifugal force). Obviously, if at max power, you’re not making any vertical headway, that clearly isn’t a solution, so you’d point downstream until you are.

The simplest plan would be to head downstream at an angle, and turn inward or outward to wherever you’re making the most headway towards the periphery. The thing is, do it FAST because as you get closer to the center your chances drop dramatically.

BTW, the usual advice about rescuing yourself in a rip current is wrong. The usual advice is to swim parallel to shore. Well, when you’re in a rip current, it’s usually hard to tell, other than the fact that you can’t manage to swim back to shore. Likewise, it’s hard to tell when you’re out of it, if you swim parallel. If instead, you swim at say a 45 degree angle towards shore, you’ll quickly both (a) swim out of the rip current and (b) find yourself closing in on the shore. (That worked for me, and it’s a good thing, because I was fricking wiped out by the time I realized I was in a rip current. I thought I was just unable to scale the 6’ waves breaking just inshore of me.)

Poe says cling to a barrel.

Must be Northern Hemisphere, note the counter-clockwise motion?