How to get a record label?

My band that I have (Leap of Faith) would like to know a way for us to get a record label with any company. How would we go about doing this? And I’m guessing it’d cost us money? Pardon me if I’m wrong, though. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Make a demo and “shop” that demo to any record label you can find that you would like to be a part of. Send them a demo and a press kit.

Be sure to shop to labels that cater to your kind of band. Don’t be sending a metal album to a country label as it’s just a waste of your time and money.

MusicianAssist.com is a good place to start, or somewhere similar. The link I provided is to their label guide. I’m sure there’s prettier sites out there but this is the only one I am familiar with :slight_smile:

Never pay anyone to get a record deal. The deal is they sign you and YOU get paid. Do alot of research so you don’t get screwed (even email some of their artists directly to see what they think about the label).

Get a manager you trust who is willing to shop your music around for you. This will give you more time to focus on the music and get a following going.

For a label to become interested your music has to be a product they can sell. Save yourself time and honestly give your music a good listen.

Is it radio friendly? When people hear it do they want a copy? Do you have a CD now and is it selling? Are you getting good feedback on your music? Are you playing live? Are you headlining the club? Are people coming to see your shows because they want to see your band?

These should all be answered with a yes for a label to be interested.

Seven: I know. Its thought-provoking and clean. Yes. Yes.and we havent sold it yet. Yes. No. No. No.

You called? (Actually we’re not accepting any new artists right now 'cause our hands are plenty full), BUT…

An excellent resource is The Musician’s Atlas. It is a directory of label, distributors, manufacturers, agents etc. etc. It’s available at most major bookstore chains. (If you’re in Canada, the one you want is the Contact Direcoty). These guides have the contact information that you can really use.

We also recommend that all indie artist get a copy of Confessions of a Record Producer: How to Survive the Scams and Shams of the Music Business by Moses Avalon. Consider it “required reading.”

If you want, you can e-mail me and I can point you toward some resources that you should examine thoroughly first so you don’t waste a lot of time and money running in circles.

• Taxi is a music-listing service. You pay a fee up front and they list your music for a year or whatever. They don’t guarantee anything, but many studios do look through their listings from time to time and people who have used it say it is a good deal–the only fees you pay are stated up-front.
  • Getting a label doesn’t cost any money, if you’re really good and play a lot of shows----they find you. I know nothing of this first-hand, but I have heard (from the *musicians’ perspective) that the bigger the record label, the more they make decisions for you, and many acts end up very disappointed overall. Pulling a “Grateful Dead” and touring forever while letting people record live shows for free doesn’t seem so stupid anymore (since you don’t get all that much from selling albums anyway)…
    ~