"How to Lose 20 lbs. of Fat in 30 Days… Without Doing Any Exercise" Does this diet have any merit?

I get what you’re trying to say, promoting exercise, but fundamentally:

A caloric deficit is the only thing that will make you burn stored fat.

One can create a caloric deficit in several ways:

1. Eat less food.
  2. Do more activity, i.e. burn more calories.
  3. Have a higher metabolism.

1 and 2 are pretty obvious.

3 is less so but can be managed by eating smaller meals more frequently to prevent the body from slowing its own metabolism down as a starvation response. Also the time of day that the exercise is done will affect the body’s BMR.’

No matter how we slice it though, the only thing that matters is calories burned minus calories consumed = calories of body fat used.

Clicking through, I see he’s against “white carbs” (rice, pasta, bread, etc.) which has some merit if that’s one of your eating issues.

I think he meant that you can cut that weight without exercising, but he does exercise on top of that.

I’d take his advice with a (within US RDA guidelines) grain of salt, since he’s one of these life-makeover “guru” types who tries to popularize very efficient ways of doing things (it doesn’t surprise me that he recommends very repetitious meals) and throws a ton of info at you in each of his several (and several hundred page) books.

Not quite. More that counting the calories and limiting by total counted is one way to reduce them but not the only one. Eating only high satiety foods (higher protein and high fiber, low GI), taking smaller portions and not eating past no longer being hungry, will generally result in calorie reduction whether or not they are counted. Low carb leads to decreased appetite, less intake, and less calories, even though calories are not counted. Different paths to the same ends.

Yes you need to reduce calories, but you can cut calories via some “rules of thumb” or arbitrary rules rather than strictly counting calories. Like, you know, stop eating sugar and pure carbs and gallons of fat and eat some goddam vegetables and lean protein instead.

That would work if only people actually did it. The trouble is that people don’t usually actually do it.

One thing that might help is to stop thinking about cutting out food, and start thinking about adding food. Like if you added a big pile of green vegetables every day. If you ate a big pile of vegetables you’d be less inclined to shove AS MUCH sugar and fat and starch into your pie-hole.

“Calorie counting” doesn’t reduce calories at all except if you feel a particular guilt if you make it to 5000 by dinner time and decide not to eat the rest of the day. Consuming fewer calories reduces calories. Counting them helps you keep track. It’s a system of accounting that you can’t really get with blind portion control because people suck at estimating how much they eat.

I bet if you secretly monitored the caloric intake of 1000 people for just a day and then asked them to guess how much they’d consumed, the vast majority of them would be off by at least 500 calories. Calorie counting combats blind eating, or eating that you don’t really consider eating (like snacks; some people don’t count blindly stuffing an entire bag a chips down during soap opera time as “eating”), etc. It’s accountability, not weight loss magic.

In response to DS, not Lemur.

My normal diet is not that far from the OP . . . and I am not losing weight. The reason has to do with that “eat as much as you like” part.

People are generally off by substantial amounts even as they calorie count over the course of the day in real time, not even on retrospective guess at end of the day. And the estimates of calories out are at best stabs in the dark at a number that is actually very dynamic, responsive to changes in diet, for example, and with responses that vary based on genetic predispositions and other factors. (For example, those who tend to obesity tend to decrease non-exercise activity automatically as calories are reduced leading to fewer calories burned, even if they exercise a bit more.)

I am not dissing the calorie counting approach. It is a good system for some people. I am just reacting to the idea that counting, monitoring, and explicitly limiting calories is THE approach.

I’d like to see a (reputable) cite for this. I don’t believe it is correct. I know it’s been the standard talk for years but I think frequent meals, while certainly advantageous for weight loss pursuits (keeping insulin levels even throughout the day, preventing voracious hunger which leads to binging, etc.), have little effect on the rate of a person’s metabolism. “Starvation mode” is much more difficult to reach than by simply going more than a few hours without eating.

What’s funny is that you have both claims of frequent smaler meals and claims of intermittent fasting (e.g. this version of alternate day fasting, and here) as helping further fat loss.

You know what? Thanks. I’ve always taken this as gospel, and when I tried to research it just now, I couldn’t find a single online article to support it. I did, however find many articles called “The Starvation Mode Myth”, or similar.

What I learned is that starvation mode wherein the body decreases one’s metabolism in a calorie deficit scenario in order to last longer takes several days to happen. Skipping breakfast isn’t enough to do it.

So, seriously, thanks for challenging that. I always appreciate learning.

>M.

I once knew someone who swore the best way to lose 20 lbs was to cut off yer head.

(just j/k) :slight_smile:

Ninety-minute highlight reel show on ESPN?

P. S. Two problems stand out for me regarding the protein list mentioned in the OP. First, the ehh whites plus one whole egg for flavor. I find egg whites without yolks to be vile, and I would discard them, keeping the whole egg. But it says I can have as much as I want. So I should just eat as many eggs as I want, right?

Also, why grass-fed, organic beef, particularly? Sounds either arbitrary or woo

Marlonius, honestly as someone who has tried to research this stuff out the apparently contradictory information out there can make your head spin.

Clearly the bit about starvation mode, and that frequent eating ramps up the metabolism, are oft-repeated myths. But there are both studies like the one I cited above that show less muscle mass loss for the same weight loss with intermitent fasting as opposed to continuous calorie reduction, and others that show lessmuscle mass decrease with small meals (inclusive of protein) spread through out the day in the context of resistance training. The more you dig the more conflicting results you find.

Probably this is best thought as what works best for each person.

I think “have merit” needs to be more closely defined.

Will this diet, and this diet alone make you lose 30 pounds in a month? Unlikely IMO, but maybe, but i’ll bet you a month’s salary you gain it back within 12 months if you don’t make other changes.

He claims to have put on 10 pounds of muscle mass because he was exercising. A level of exercise which generates 10 lbs. of muscle in six weeks is going to burn off more carbohydrates than you could possibly cut out of your diet. The whole thing is a bait-and-switch.

As an any lifter, bodybuilder, or serious student of fitness and nutrition will tell you, increasing muscle mass substantially requires caloric excess. It is not impossible to put on some very modest amount of muscle mass while losing some amount of both fat and weight but it is very difficult. It requires keeping the calorie deficit mild, getting enough protein in, and timing that protein so that it is there when the body needs it. (Which revisits the frequent meal comment. Muscles can only absorb so much protein at a time, 15 to 20 grams inclusive of adequate amounts of essential amino acids. Getting that in in the window around resistance exercise, typically immediately after, and in multiple smaller meals later during recovery is widely believed to optimize muscle response to exercise.) Someone running a caloric deficit enough to lose the standard successful 2 to 3 pounds per week (and this doofus claimed to lose more) will, with a significant resistance exercise program and good timing of nutrition as above, possiby manage to not lose much much muscle mass, maybe even put some very modest amount on, but NOT anything like what this person (be he a fraud or merely delusional) is stating.

Again, the plan is not a bad one; the results claimed are just absurd. The principles are sound.

Think of it this way - the brain controls what and how much you eat, right? For most people there are two main inputs that factor in: satiety and hedonic value. Satiety is the metabolic system telling you that that is enough; high protein and high fiber foods tend to be high satiety. High satiety foods, all else equal, will result in less consumed. Hedonic value is pleasure/reward aspect of the food that tells us to eat more even though we are no longer hungry. Sweet, salty, fatty have higher hedonic value thus there is always room for dessert. The Big Food Industry has invested mightily in figuring out exactly what fires those reward centers as that drives more consumption and thus more sales. If those foods are lower satiety all the better. A limited selection of choices will be boring and not fire those centers so much. If all you were allowed to eat was a balanced bland people chow the odds are you would eat less than if you ate meals of bread and butter, appetizers, several items main course, dessert, and wine or other caloric drink. (The neurobiology of this is being worked out.)

If someone did force themselves onto a plan that was high satiety foods only and of such limited choice that the hedonic value was fairly low they would consume many fewer calories a day than those who eat the Standard American Diet (which consists of many low satiety hyperpalatable foods).

Thing is that such a nutrition plan is, by intent, boring, and who wants to be bored eating all the time. Hence his one day off and other people compromising and at least avoiding the hyperpalatable foods but allowing enough variety of high satiety foods that palatability is acceptable, a moderate level, just not the hyper level that most of us eat all the time.

Yes, even that can still be eaten to excess, as panche45 points out.

I’ve always figured that if I cut my head off, I’d actually lose close to 155 lb, assuming my head weighs 20 lb.

You’d lose all but about a sixth of your body weight regardless of the weight of your head, because eventually you’d just be a skeleton. :wink:

I think that was more a reference to the idea that science will never succeed at brain transplants but body transplants, maybe.