How to manipulate/deactivate auto-off timer of heated throw

In the winter, I like to keep my house cool at night to save on my heating bill. I have a heavy goosedown comforter, but I wanted to extend its range, so I went to the store to look at heated blankets.

A heated blanket for my queen size bed was $80. From the same manufacturer, a heated throw was $25. The heated throw is about the size of a full size bed, but I figured that this heated blanket would be under a comforter, so it’d be okay.

When I got home, I realized that the heated throw has an auto off timer set for 3 hours. This is problematic, because about 4-7 hours into sleep is when the house is the coldest, and that is when the heated throw is most useful. The heated blanket has a timer for 10 hours.

I want to make the heated throw work for my needs. An extra $65 for a heated blanket starts to cut into the cost benefit justification of buying a heated blanket vs using more gas heat.

Is there a way to either manipulate the auto off timer (say, set it to 10 hours) OR deactivate it completely? I assume deactivating it completely will be easier.

Don’t do it. It may not be meant to be used for such a length of time and could overheat or fail catastrophically sooner. Messing with the wiring runs the risk of causing a fire too.

Having had heated blankets which suffocated me all my life, my wife and I decided to look at other options a few years ago. The blankets had manual on/off switches on them if I recall. After talking to others we decided to try a heated mattress padwith a built-in 10-hour timer. It only cost about $60, and the heat coming from below versus above made a big difference in terms of comfort. YMMV

I second this. The fact that the timer is set to only 3 hours is likely a safety feature. There would be no good reason to deactivate it.

You could plug it into a timer switch so that it comes on at 2 am or whenever.

If it’s a Sunbeam, there are how-to’s online for opening the control panel and soldering in a new connection. The controller is capable of both 3 hour and 10 hour operation.

Obviously no one here is going to recommend that you do it, for fear of causing a fire. But, I’d bet that the blanket is more than capable of sustaining use for 10 hours. I’m no electrical engineer, but selling a blanket that could fail simply through use would be irresponsible, and your blanket would be featured on the 6 o’clock news for burning houses down.

What if (like I do) you turn the blanket on again (sometimes repeatedly) after the 3 hour timer has expired? I would imagine that peak temperature for the system is reached well before the 3 hour time limit, and that peak temperature is easily sustained by the hardware.

Or buy two throws have one activate when you go to sleep and have the second one come on via the timer switch 3-4 hours later.

Seems like a lot of work that spooning with your SO throughout the night should solve.

Need to check to make sure if the blanket has a ground plug, the timer does also. I have not recently been able to find a timer that will accept a grounded plug (didn’t look very hard).

It stuns me that proper bedding can’t keep a person warm. An easy fix might be to buy a pull over hooded well made sweat shirt. I often wear one, and just put the hood up. Makes a big difference. It’s cozy, especially if you keep your house cold like we do.