Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.
[QUOTE=Fredescu]
An unsaved notepad file usually stops shutdowns and just sits there waiting for your input about saving the file. If you hit cancel, it stops the shutdown in its tracks. Very inelegant, but I often have multiple notepads open and it has saved me a few times when I’ve forgotten to untick “Reboot now”
[/QUOTE]
It did indeed stop the shutdown, but not before the app managed (I think) to make some damage. For example, the taskbar icons are gone. And there is an app window that won’t close.
[QUOTE=Mangetout]
BTW… isn’t there just another app you can use instead?
[/QUOTE]
Probably… The thing is this app came with the HW I bought, and any replacement app must work with it. And in any case, it will probably cost more than I’m willing to spend.
[QUOTE=FRDE]
Using FileMon from www.sysinternals.com you should be able to determine whether the offending App closes its data files (it probably does, only a stupid programmer keeps files unflushed unnecessarily).
If that is the case, then Task Manager shutdown should be safe.
Apps know (roughly) where the command to shut down comes from, so my guess is that it tries to power off the machine unless it thinks the machine is about to be powered off.
[/QUOTE]
I’ll try that. The thing is, the app in question is a surveillance system. It continuously collects camera data and stores it into the database. So I assume at any given minute the DB may be open.
[QUOTE=Smitty]
How much time do you have before the machine shuts down? You can go to Start -> Run and type in shutdown /a which will prevent a system shut down, if you have time enough to do it.
[/QUOTE]
I do have a couple of seconds. But guess what: the app won’t let me access the “run” command. So, only after the app exists, and shutdown is well under way am I able to try that…
I’m beginning to think it’s a lost battle.
I will attempt to try the filemon re DB state. I will also try to re-install the app under the user account (although it takes a l-o-n-g time - it has to format a dedicated partition for it!).
I will also look into the VM idea.
Will report results.
Thanks again.