How to prosper in George Bush's America

But your working-stiff sob story is relevant because…?

Sorry, Brutus, unless you manage posts of at least two lines, I think I’ll just ignore you.

-Joe

The game of life is such that advantage facilitates the consolidation of that advantage towards eventual monopoly. Politically, this manifests itself as effective plutocracy.

The question thus becomes: how do we effectively combat plutocracy?

If you are working that hard for some schmuck, then why don’t you become a schmuck yourself and run your own business? You decide how much/little insurance everyone gets. If you have that kind of energy (and you’re claiming that you do, btw), then why in the hell are you sitting there playing the victim? Don’t tell me how tough it would be to start taking care of yourself by starting your own business now; the climate isn’t as jacked up as it was when I started my business in California in 1992 at the height of the double dip recession and state-paid IOUs and warrants were all the rage, yet I worked my ass off to make sure I didn’t become a statistic. Brutus has a point that you chose to ignore because it just might involve being responsible for your own income and your own insurance, etc…Oh, I get it…you would be labeled a “Pubbie” for doing such treachery.

Ok, let me tell you how to do it the “Dem” way then…

1. Have a Plan (so far, so good, eh?)
  2. Go get an SBA loan.
  3. Work as hard as you claim to be in your own business. Hire other folks like you (in your current situation) and be generous with your wages and benefits.
  4. Profit!

Be your own boss, and not a BMC[sup]TM[/sup]* employee that likes to hear him/herself whine.

• Bitching, Moaning & Complaining

Oh

no!

Wow, twice as many lines as usual, yet still completely content-free. Why break a trend, huh?

Anyways, Rex, just because I’m bitching about it doesn’t mean that I’m necessarily doing nothing, does it?

I’m actually working toward two separate plans and the moment. Whether or not they’ll succeed is, of course, another matter entirely. All I need is for one of them to work to get my sad self out of this place I’m currently enjoying.

However, that doesn’t change in the least what I said.

I absolutely hate where I am, but that doesn’t change that fact that I know I’m lucky to have a job where I’m making enough for my needs. The health care situation in this country is totally fucked, with people’s career decisions sometimes being decided by how well someone can bend them over on health insurance.

On top of all that, well, fuck, I’ll just quote myself:

-Joe

Actually, my anecdote does prove something.

Recall that I was responding to Aeschines, whose response to the OP was: “Be born a WASP. A rich one.” My anecdote shows that this is NOT the only way to be successful. Nowhere do I claim that this is the only route – undoubtedly, being born into a wealthy family is also a route to success, but it’s a bit difficult to consciously implement that strategy.

Yeah, and nowhere did he claim it was the only route. If you want to argue semantics, we can do that all day.

Q: How do I turn around?
A: Turn 90 degrees to the right. Then turn another 90 degrees to the right.
Bricker: Well, I turned around by turning 90 degrees to the left and then another 90 degrees to the left, so obviously the previous answer was wrong!

No, because the word “only” is nowhere in there.

Why you’d try to overanalyze what was obviously a simple, flippant remark is beyond me. Must be bored or something.

-Joe, turns around by doing a handstand

I agree with everything that Rex said. I can’t stand when people jump to blame the government for every problem they have. The job economy is a widely fluctuating market, with many factors influencing the demand for labor. If you live in a small town that relies on rural agriculture, you and all your neighbors will be likely be doing worse and worse for yourself as big businesses streamline agricultural production and adopt new technology that you can’t afford. Meanwhile, the president could be saying (accurately) that the job economy is better than it has ever been.

I’m not saying anything about the validity of Bush’s claims about the job economy, but saying that he’s lying just because you and several people you know are doing worse than you were three years ago is outrageously ignorant.