How to punch up chili?

I’m also a big fan of chipotle peppers in chili, or alternatively, a few generous splashes of Chipotle Tabasco. Or both.

Doñ’t you start with me.

Last time the wife was at Trader Joe’s, she was coerced into buying this for me. I’ve only sampled it once; not overpoweringly hot, and makes everything taste like chili.

Whÿ nót?

To placate the less nuanced palate, you could also offer a tub of sour cream and some tortilla chips in addition to the tabasco.

I used to mix in a can of crushed pineapple and some Velveeta cheese. Good bachelor food.

Frank’s is tasty but is pretty mild for a whole pot of chili. If you have Tabasco on hand, it’s a little spicier, Cholula and Tapatio are good too. I second adding peppers too. Jalepenos add a nice kick that shouldn’t be too hot (depending on the pepper really, and the preference of the office) Habenero might be too hot for some. Some crushed red pepper or some cayenne may be good too.

When I’m cooking for myself/wife, I just experiment, add a little of this or that and try it. Worse comes to worse, I don’t love it but I still like it at least and try something different later. I love trying different peppers, spices and hot sauces. I’ve made some great pasta sauces that way.

Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning and Sriracha chili sauce. Just add a little bit of each at a time until it tastes amazing. And it will.

Chipotle flavored hot sauce is a good idea because the smokey flavor works very well with chili. It also requires no cooking and isn’t grainy.

Possibly needs some acid component. I like a bit of lime juice in mine.

Take a dried habanero and a pair of kitchen scissors and cut tiny little striplets into the chili. Stir and taste periodically. You’ll know when.

This is going to sound terrible - I thought so when it was suggested to me - but it really works. Pickle juice…It really works. I thought I was crazy to try it, but it works.

Add masa flour stirred into beer to make a slurry, then add that to your simmering chili.

Penzeys Chili 3000 is all I add to my chili and it seems to actually taste better the second day. Doesn’t make it grainy at all. A mix of Ancho Chili Powder, Garlic, Cumin, Onion, Cilantro, Paprika, Cayenne Red Pepper, Lemon Peel, Mexican Oregano, Black Pepper, Citric Acid, Natural Smoke Flavor, Jalapeño Pepper.

Blairs Death Sauce works for me.

You won’t be able to add enough cayenne to make it grainy. Just add some of that if all you’re looking for is heat.

This won’t make it noticeably hotter but it’ll bring out the flavors: An ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate. Some folks use cocoa powder instead.

There’s a world of difference between store bought chili powder and homemade chili powder. I use Alton Brown’s recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe.html. It’s very easy and makes enough to last for a few months.

Chipotle peppers - very tasty with a smoky flavor.

Cocoa powder adds a complex flavor, but if I have mole sauce I’ll add some of that.

Often times when people don’t know what’s missing, the answer is acid. Suggestions above such as vinegar and lime are very good choices.

And finally, you may just be lacking salt. Try a small sample, add some salt and taste again. If the difference is noticeable then you can correct your whole batch.

Hot Sauce: Excellent idea
Masa Flour: Brilliant idea

If you are simply trying to rev it up in the bowl, have you considered the easy addition of chopped raw onions? (I am assuming that you are already adding cheddar cheese…)

According to many time award winning chili maker Drayton Sawyer, “There’s no secret. It’s the meat. Don’t skimp on the meat.”