How to replace a small bicycle part from a belly-up manufacturer?

My Bianchi bike (aprox 10 years old) came with Sakae SR “Low Fat” pedals, very similar to the ones shown here:

http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/pedals/asr_pedal.html

Well, the cone (a small threaded part that holds in the ball bearings) inside the chain-side pedal self-destructed making the pedal unusable – in turn, making the bike unridable. (I know, “For want of a nail…”)

The cheapskate in me (98.6% of my DNA makeup) refuses to buy a whole goddamn set of new pedals because of one… what? fifty-cent?.. part that needs to be replaced.

Trouble is, Sakae has gone the way of the Hupmobile and the Dumont TV network. And around where I live – snooty Manhattan, NYC, USA – most shops literally LAUGH at you when you want to replace a little part like that; they all try to convince you to just throw the old pedals in a landfill and replace them with the best, most expensive pair of pedals they sell. (In fact, I’m amazed they have not tried to convince me to junk the whole BIKE, rather then just replace the cone.)

A couple of “old school” bike shops (usually run by Giupetto-like geezers – God bless 'em) have fished through their used-pedal boxes looking for a cone that fits – but to no avail.

So Dopers, any ideas, suggestions or leads? And BTW, I’d happily settle for a used cone.

I know this isn’t gonna help but, I just (a month ago) threw out a working pair of the low fats, and installed spd’s. Sorry!! This is what happens when you’ve accumulated way too much bike junk!! Have you checked Performance or Nashbar?

Pay for the shipping and I’ll send you a pair of SPD 535’s (the basic black ones) and a pair of Lake shoes size 44 with cleats. I figure about ten bucks and I’ll UPS em. The pedals aint so pretty but they work quite well.

I have gone back to my beloved Suntour XCPro cages with the WTB grease fitting…the bestest pedal ever made.

You’d be doing me a favour! I am trying to eliminate all traces of the Evil Shitmano Empire from my life and this will leave me with only the cogset on my set of Chris Kings and the BB on my Trek, which I will live with until Chris King comes out with his BB :slight_smile:

If you go back to the “old School” bike shops I’m sure that they will have a pair of either used, or fairly cheap pedals. As for the other bike shops, they will also have cheaper pedals if you ask. Explain how much you want to spend and ask them what your options are.

a) (for future reference, not for criticism) If you have any ball bearing parts on your bike, you should be overhauling them up to once per year depending on how much mud/rain you go through, and how much you ride, and if the bike is stored outside even more often than that. This is no guarantee a part won’t fail, it just helps it last. My front hub, for example, is on the verge of failing - I can see some obvious wear on the cone. But, I keep overhauling it, and it keeps working.

b) You are on the right track with the old timer bike shops, but they’d be more likely to help you find parts for higher-end stuff. Keep trying though.

c) I’d also look for old abandoned bicycles or police auctions of bicycles, find one with your pedals on, and buy the bike for $10/claim ownership of an abandoned bike for free. Parts galore.

Good luck!

If you can find another set of pedals made by the same manufacturer you may well find that it’s a standard part throughout much of their range.

Finding old bicycle parts is not always that difficult, after all there are many elderly machines lying around in lofts and garages that have only been lightly used.

Most cycle clubs have their hoarders, I used to be one of them, and they have clearout sales to raise club running funds from time to time, there may even be large events such as vintage cycle shows where folk turn up with lod stuff, these are invaluable resources.

I remeber the SR stuff well, their higher end stuff was Campagnolo copies and good stuff it was too.

If you can find a Campagnolo equivalent it may be possible to get the same thing.

This is one good reason to buy Cmapagnolo stuff, their hubs and pedals last for ever and the spares are available even decades later.