How to transport a toddler in a cab.

It seems completely unsafe/illegal to carry a toddler in your lap during a cab ride; however, it’s probably not feasible/realistic to drag a car seat along with you and assume that it will fit safely in the back seat of the cab; plus you’d be stuck carrying it around (not really possible) or finding a place to stash it for the day. While in Argentina, my charge’s family and I took cabs many times with Jr. riding on one of our laps. Made me nervous as hell. What’s the deal?

in Australia you have to call the cab company and book a cab with a child seat (well in advance), or take a child seat with you. The can driver would likely refuse to carry you otherwise as they are liable for the fine (and points off their license)

I think cab passengers are generally exempt from seat belt laws, and that goes for child restraint systems too. In New York:

Did you have the seatbelt strapped over both of you when he was on your lap? Because that seems like the least unsafe alternative.

Wouldn’t that squish the tot’s internal organs or break his hips at even a sudden stop at a red light?

What I’ve tried as a least bad alternative is to have myself strapped in with a lap and shoulder belt in the back, and then keeping an arm ready to hold the kid down as she’s sitting in the middle (not in my lap) or grab her if need be. Don’t know what else to do.

His Mom did this for a bit, but his Dad and I pointed out that this didn’t seem like the best idea. Also, regarding the following post, my driver’s ed teacher always said that putting your arms across a child would be about as effective as trying to restrain him with a piece of cooked spaghetti (for what it’s worth!) I just really don’t know what the safest alternative would be. I mean, we adults aren’t that concerned about hopping in a crazy cab, unbelted; just seems that there would be a better way to deal with the toddler/baby situation. Hell, I remember when older tv shows would have a new Mom and baby just hop in the cab from the hospital and she’d just apparently hold it in her lap the whole way home! One short stop or fender-bender…no more baby! :frowning:

What about strapping yourself in and then putting the baby into one of those front carrier things? Not the best for head support, but at least it won’t being flying around.

If it’s a lap and shoulder belt, and it isn’t too tight, I don’t see why it would.

I used to do it myself, on the very rare occassions I took my son in a taxi. Obviously there’s the problem of having your own mass pressing against him during a sudden stop, but I really could never think of anything better to do. A broken hip or damaged internal organs is still better than flying through the windshield.

I’ve had arguments with London cab companies about this:

“It’s alright - cabs are exempt from the laws requiring child seats.”

“Are you also exempt from the laws of physics?”

Curious why you were arguing with the cab companies over this issue? Were you requesting that they supply you with a car seat for your child? Were you wanting them to help you fit your car seat into their cab? Was it just a general concern you had with infants riding in black cabs?

I was trying to find a company that provided child seats upon request. These used to exist. They no longer seem to.

On the rare occasion we need a cab, if it’s a round trip from home we bring our own child seat. If we’re out and need a cab home for whatever reason (as has happened), however, we just have to take our chances.

We’ve taken plenty of cabs with the kids sans carseat. Doesn’t seem like a biggie to me. Most taxi rides are in urban areas where speeds aren’t that high. I guess if I were taking a taxi on a highway, I might be more concerned.

According to the authors of ‘Superfreakonomics’ (one of whom is a well respected, award winning economist) the data say that after age 2 use of a car seat does not offer any significant safety advantages. Just putting that out there. Here’s a quasi-cite.

This is what we use - it a stroller that collapses into a car seat. Worked great for us traveling with little ones.