Our upstairs has basically been just for storage since the kids moved out. One bedroom in particular is used for nothing but storing stuff we never use, so I hadn’t been in there for a year or more.
Anyway, I went to stick some old hard drives in there the today, and was greeted with the sight of water damage in the ceiling. Apparently there is a small leak in the roof. It’s not enough to have made water drip onto the floor, but the ceiling has a stain and a small crack, and when I poked it with a screwdriver, it went right through. And there was a distinct smell of mold. Black mold, from looking at the screwdriver.
So I’m sure there’s a moldy mess in the attic, and I’ll probably let the pros handle that. My question is about the bedroom. If I can smell mold there, but there’s no sign of it on anything, is it still dangerous to be in it for even a minute?
Obviously I wouldn’t want to sleep in there, but if I open the windows and let it air out, is it safe to spend a few minutes at a time in there to move the stuff out so the workers can cut open the ceiling without getting moldy debris all over my stuff? Is everything in the room already contaminated, even though there is no visible mold?