[QUOTE=kelly5078]
The main problem with incest is that genetic imperfections get reinforced. Presumably, having been made by God, Adam and Eve were genetically perfect, and there wouldn’t have been much opportunity for problems to creep into the first several generations. So, no problem with incest.
I’m am so totally making this baloney up. I think I’m ready to start my own religion.
[/QUOTE]
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
[QUOTE=Alan Smithee]
“In-story,” I think we can say that humans weren’t created to live in the Garden forever. We were created to till the earth, to cultivate it and care for it (Gen 2:5, 1:26-28, 2:15, 3:23). Eden, I think, was our nursery, to prepare us to encounter the rest of creation and to be truly “like God” in having dominion over it, caring for it, and shaping it.
But we weren’t ready. We were newly created, like children. We had to mature. And part of that was learning boundaries, learning slowly for ourselves good and evil. The tree was there for us to eat of when we were ready, and it was there to teach us obedience and through obedience right and wrong until we were ready.
But the plan backfired. We disobeyed, and like children who encountered violence and sex to early (or rather were taught them by a mischievous older brother, the snake) we grew up too fast. It suddenly no longer made sense to keep us in the nursery; we had seen all that the garden was meant to shelter us from. We were, for better or worse, cast out into the world, too mature and headstrong to be kept at home, but not experienced enough to find our way. And like a problem child grown to adulthood, we’ve been struggling and rebelling and fucking up ever since, unable to forgive ourselves or accept our father’s forgiveness and help.
[/QUOTE]
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Seriously, the whole “Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden” was a put-up job from the very beginning, a Rube Goldberg contraption put together by some imaginative eight year old on a snow day. The moral that is taught in the Christian religions is that you shouldn’t question the words and commandments of your elders, which makes for a neat parable favoring dogmatic servitude but creates a conflict between what you ought to do for yourself and what you’ve been directed to do by authority.
Adam and Eve were patsies. They never had a chance. And poor Lillith…
Stranger