Perfect Adam and Eve choose to sin -- How?

Greetings,

I came across this question online and am stumped. If Adam and Eve were created perfect, how could they choose to sin? To sin is to act imperfectly, and if Adam and Eve chose to sin, then they were imperfect people. And no matter how much “free will” Adam and Eve had, perfect people do not act imperfectly.

Here is an article about this:

http://www.geocities.com/inquisitive79/vindicate.html

Any answer would be nice.

Thank you,

Richard

I believe the fruit of the tree of knowledge of god and evil is simply a euphemism for sex.

Sex? BAD BAD BAAAAAD!!!

“Perfect” should be read as “complete.” Adam and Eve were created with all their parts, including the capacity to sin.

The problem is that Adam was not created complete; he lacked Eve, and God noticed his frustration.

Unless you read the first account of creation, in which male & female are created simultaneously. Whatever.

The standard answer is that “they had Freewill”.

But really why the whole Adam and Eve issue is taken out of context - it’s a mythological account based on earlier sumerian myth. If you read carefully enough the redaction of Genesis from at least two or more accounts is really quite obvious.

Are those who insist on a Literal Genesis really demonstrating Free Will?

That’s why I put the following in my post:

“And no matter how much “free will” Adam and Eve had, perfect people do not act imperfectly.”

The answer varies depending on whether or not you believe in the Bible.
If you do believe in the Bible, it was the result of free will, as others have stated. They were curious and made a bad mistake. We suffer the consequences.

If you don’t believe in the Bible, then it’s just a plot device to explain the suffering of existence. They screwed up so we toil and give birth painfully (well, not me, but you get you the idea) and then we die.

–greenphan

Where does Genesis 1 say that they were created “simultaneously”?

greenphan,

Like I said: “And no matter how much “free will” Adam and Eve had, perfect people do not act imperfectly.”

So goes the argument. It’s not mine.

If Adam and Eve were human, sooner or later they would have taken a bite out of that apple. If curiosity is defined as a sin, we are all sinners because curiosity is a universal human quality. God must have known that when he created Adam and Eve, so it seems a bit perverse of Him to punish them for acting in a predictably human way.

I am slightly opposed to calling them perfect, as any person given free will will more than likely make the occasional mistake, but I do agree with you. All humans, no matter how perfect they may be, are fallible and will make mistakes. But if I remember correctly, Free Will is the official short answer concerning Adam and Eve, meaning that I believe it’s what is commonly regarded as correct. That just may pertain to the Catholic Church. It has been awhile since my theology class, so I could be mistaken.

–greenphan

well if one claims that God created imperfect beings, doesnt that suggest that God is imperfect too. Then this leads to a problems with the standardized definition or concept of God, or even better yet (well if one’s choice in belief is atheism) a proof that God doesnt exist. This contradiction probably is something that would be problematic for the daily prayer-type to wrestle to the ground. Why would a perfect God make imperfect things, if he is in fact perfect? Good question, maybe God is a hoax, a sham, or a figment of the imagination. Personally, i think people believe in God merely to help them deal with the odd, bizarre, and chaotic but yet often predictable world in which we live. Sorry if i wondered a little too much off topic.

Curiosity is not the sin committed by Adam and Eve. It was disobedience to God’s explicit command. And, as noted previously, nowhere does the Bible say that they were perfect. The terms used to describe creation are “good” and “very good”.

Oh, and Enola Straight, read Gen. 1:28:

God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number…”

Sounds like sex was given the God seal of approval, doesn’t it?

Your argument holds water if one assumes that God intended, or perhaps was incapable of, creating something perfect in its nature. We simply have no evidence of that intent, one way or t’other.

Well, excuse me, I thought this was a debate, not a Bible class. Have you ever heard of the word “interpretation”? I’m sure curiosity is often defined as disobedience by those in power

Only God is perfect. He made man in His own image, but He didn’t run Himself through the Xerox machine.

There are interpretations, and there are interpretations. Some are reasonable; others are not.

Yahweh gave Adam and Eve an explicit command. They disobeyed. The most straightforward and logical conclusion is that there sin was one of disobedience, and there is no contextual evidence that it was merely one of curiosity.

I think what some are getting at is that it was a decision Adam and Eve made out of curiousity, not an explicit will to defy God. I highly doubt Adam and Eve, in any interpretation, throughly thought about the consequences of their actions nor that they willfully decided to stick it to God. Sort of like accidentally committed a crime; you dont’ escape punishment because it was accident but you never intended for the crime to happen in the first place.

However, I’ve asked myself who was in the wrong in the Adam and Eve vs. God fight. God did tell them that if they ate the fruit, they would die. How would they know what death was as it was the Garden of Eden and nothing had ever died? “What does he mean? He’ll change us colors?” It was the only rule God had given them and they had no precedent before that; they didn’t really know what would happen if they disobeyed God. They didn’t have the knowledge of the world yet.
Those are just some of the thoughts I’ve had previously on Adam and Eve. They are just ruminations, mind you; I don’t really want to start a contentious argument and Christian beliefs are a really good place to accidentally start arguments.

–greenphan

Possibly so, but still – it’s the disobedience that was the sin, not the curiosity itself. They might not have said, “Let’s disobey God today!” but it was disobedience nonetheless.

Oh yeah, I know. If I accidentally sin, it’s still a sin. I just don’t think what Adam and Eve did is anywhere near as bad as what Satan did.

–greenphan

Well, at least Adam took it like a perfect husband - he blamed his wife.