How would you change the movie "Independence Day" from what it is to a good movie?

Steve Harvey would like a word with you. :wink:

So would Steve Urkel.

This.

That is one of the big things that bugged me about this movie. The aliens are gonna fucking kill everybody on the planet. It’s not just like they swung by to steal some skittles and are planing to leave shortly thereafter.

But ohhh NOES we can’t use a few nukes because that would anger mother earth or sumptin. Fucking mother earth hippies.

At the very least, show a few nukes being used and they don’t work for shit so it’s on to plan B.

Or did they try a nuke? I forget. But they sure acted like using a nuke was like asking your mother to become a stripper to pay for the cable bill.

And his character needs to be more Jewish. Sure he wears a yarmulke and speaks in an accent that would make Jackie Mason say “Come again?”, but we don’t even know if he’s circumcised.

But meanwhile, you had to off poor Harvey Fierstein?

I also enjoy popcorn films. Two of my favorite are The Rock and True Lies. However, I loathe ID4 with every fiber of my being.

They did try a nuke on Houston, I believe, and it didn’t work. But yes, they were way too Hollywood-sensitive-whiney about it. All of our major cities have been destroyed, who gives a fuck if you loose a few nukes?

Ahhh, it’s starting to come back to me now. But like you said. Seriously, once major cities start getting vaporized and at the very least a few test nukes don’t start flying moments later was just way to WTF? kinda peacenik hippy shit for me.

More Brent Spiner in highwaters.

Yes! Exactly! I have nothing against feel-good popcorn flicks, but there needs to be something going on that doesn’t make me feel like they’re insulting my intelligence for enjoying them.

Oh yeah, that was another thing I’d change - get rid of Harvey’s character altogether. He contributed nothing except annoyance.

Well, sure, but that would make any movie better. :slight_smile:

In a perfect movie, our hero the hacker would get flown into position by Stevie Wonder.

The Jewish dad and Harvey Fierstein, gay and Jewish, were the two most annoying characters… and now…

now…

now… Goldlbum is on GLEE playing… a gay Jewish dad… there’s a pattern here, AND IT’S TICKING BACKWARDS!

Eh, I disagree. The whole point of the dogfight was to show that the aliens were impervious to conventional attack. Watching the Few and the Proud get beat like a fresh batch of mochi on the Japanese New Year (Youtube it) was what they were going for. If not to show it, how else would they explain that our fighters are entirely ineffective? By having someone just say that sans demonstration?

That said, we only ever see two dogfights in the entire movie. The one where the good guys get mowed over, and the one where the good guys get some much-deserved payback once the aliens magical bullshit forcefields have been taken away from them. The scene where they try to use a nuke was there simply to show that the nuke wouldn’t do any good. As for using the nuke sooner, I dunno, there was only a few hours time difference between the air battle and the nuking of Houston. Remember that the entire film, from opening credits to fireworks, lasts something like three days or less.

Yes, but they should have nuked Houston right off the bat, preferably before anyone even knew about the aliens. That would make a more interesting film!

Oh oh.

I can’t disagree with this.

Seriously… everything else can stay as hokey as it was… kill the damn dog.

The movie opens with an expanding mushroom cloud over Houston as its buildings are swept away, and then the camera pulls back to show that the President and the White House staff are watching it on TV. The President rubs his hand together and says, “Our long national nightmare is over. We can look forward to an era of peace and prosperity.”

Cue the rumbling sound effects as the alien ships approach…

Lol, I was going to say basically the same thing: Fire the director and casting agency, rewrite the script from scratch, and erase any hint of the original from the face of the Earth. Then there’s at least a chance of making a good movie.

I remember another scene that just bothered the crap out of me. Its when the now sorta sober fighter pilot (Randy Quaid?) flies his jet into the ship to blow it up. If I recall correctly it looked like it was going into the ship at like a few tens of miles per hours, not hundreds. It just looked WRONG.

Right.

Or perhaps the Op is asking- how to change Independence day from a *great *movie to merely a good one?

No, what is wrong is the jackasses who laughed at him all those years, and there he is sitting with the rest of the pilots and the dude from the CIA rolling his eyes when he introduces himself and says he wants to get back at the aliens for abducting and probing him

HELLO - what is that huge ship floating overhead? Aliens … wow, whodathunk they might have actually abducted someone while researching the planet for takeover.