How would you like to be paid?

As an independent contractor, you have to have enough cash to last for a while, so it doesn’t really matter to me.

You just can’t the cash you have, that’s all.

Most of the work I do involves three months of employment with a paycheck upon completion (give or take a week, depending on how paperwork gets done). There’s nothing like getting through 'till mid-April, and then being told that the $3,000 you’re expecting for work since January won’t come until the end of May because “that’s just when we pay those contracts out.” Multiply that by a few different jobs, and I have to be very careful to budget and keep my savings high, because I’ll occasionally go 4-5 months without significant income.

So, that said, bi-weekly would be awesome.

Daily!

I get paid weekly and it’s pretty sweet.

I only pay bills once a month, at the end of the month, but I am ALWAYS flush. I can always cover most unexpected payments in cash no problem any day.

I don’t understand your reasoning here. How is it any harder to save when you have money coming in each week rather than every other week?

I’ve been paid weekly, every other week, and twice a month. I prefer weekly, but am ok with the others. I don’t think I’d like to be paid less often than twice a month.

I’m currently on the same pay schedule as you; I don’t think it’s any worse/that much different than being paid every other week.

Yeah, I have the same question. I guess I could take my rent out of one check, but then it would be like getting paid just once a month. I take half of both my rent and my car payment out of each check, and it’s not hard to remember to put that amount aside.

I love being paid weekly. It makes cash flow management a lot easier!

When I was first starting out and living mostly paycheck-to-paycheck it was kind of nice getting paid fortnightly. I would have things budgeted so all my bills got paid with two checks each month, then every 6 months or so I’d have a third paycheck…sort of like getting a tax refund back.

I’ve had: weekly (when I worked at a five-and-dime type store - paid in cash of all things), biweekly (first high school job, also one post-college job), monthly, and semi-monthly. I definitely prefer semi-monthly, because most bills are monthly in nature, and I can plan for, say, the mortgage to come out of the first one, the credit card out of the second one, and divvy the other bills up among the others as appropriate.

Interestingly, since college I’ve only rarely had a job that paid in arrears - e.g. pay period ends on Friday the 15th, the pay is deposited on Friday the 22nd or whatever. This is, I gather, very unusual even for a salaried job.

Even more interestingly, during the period of work where I was paid monthly, our pay was deposited on the 25th vs. the last day of the month. Yeah, we were paid several days in advance.

That’s exactly how it worked when I was a Lockheed Martin employee. They’re the only company I’ve worked for that paid weekly, and the checks were one week behind the end of the pay period.

Every place I’ve worked has issued checks one pay period later: for example, my current pay period will end on Thursday (12/15), and I’ll get the check for this pay period at the end of the month.

I get paid once a month and that works out well; all the bills get paid on the same day.

The only thing that belongs in front of me is open road.

I’m paid biweekly now, but years ago I worked a job where I was paid on the 1st and the 15th no matter what - that was awesome, as it’s how most bills come due too. I mean, I can budget and all, but it was simpler.

Monthly, that’s how I’m paid and how the bills come, it’s pretty much perfect.

Edit: Most people have bills which come 2x a month? Weird, my bills have always been monthly.

Once you get to this point, yeah, it doesn’t matter too much. I’d have to change systems to get paid any less than monthly (basically transferring money around each month to pay myself so I could pay bills), but that could be automated.

As long as I have direct deposit I wouldn’t mind being payed every day or even every hour.

Like that would ever happen…

Just the same as I am now – daily (when I work), in cash. I don’t like dealing with depositing checks and keeping tabs on if the bank is screwing me more than usual. Plus it gives me some left-brain stuff to fiddle with on my little spreadsheet of clients and income/expenses every day while I get some FreeCell freakin’ on.

If checks/direct deposit, then every week or two weeks is fine, doesn’t matter.

I get paid twice per month, which is a real pain because you never know* when you are going to be paid for that cycle. And I’m hopeless with money, so would prefer to only have to go a few days before being paid if I go troppo with the wallet. :smiley:

*I do know in advance when I’m going to be paid, but it does change month to month depending on the cycles and the official ‘working days’ in between.

Still sux though.

I’m paid twice a month (by the State of Illinois, in contrast to VOW being paid monthly by the State of California) and I’m happy with it.

My mortgage payment is due in the middle of the month, and I pay it from the first pay"check" (I get direct deposit). My credit card and condo assessment come due near the end of the month so I pay them once I receive my second pay"check". I have enough left over to pay the utility bills as they are issued in roughly the middle of the month.

I think most people are referring to the fact that due dates tend to be splittable into two groups. I pay my bills twice a month, when my direct deposit hits, but each time I’m just paying whichever bills are due before the next direct deposit.