How would you punish Osama bin Laden?

Maybe we could avoid the anti-Islamic slurs? Mind you, I despise Islam, but I also despise Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Wicca and all the other invisible friend co-dependent groups equally, and I’d just as soon not demonize one group over another.

Osama’s alive, and eventually he’ll be brought to justice. For the sake of realpolitik, it would be sensible if he didn’t survive arrest, but was “shot in battle”.

I have to say, I don’t find anything amusing or admirable about a bunch of sadistic torture fantasies. I thought the whole point was that we were better than terrorists.

Diogenes, you’re being a douche.

My suggestion:

1. Develop a technology that will faithfully record feelings and emotions directly from the human brain

2. Encourage relatives of 9/11 victims to relive the feelings they had whne they learned their loved ones had died

3. Stick Osama in a cell, and play a loop tape of those feelings right into his beady little brain and let him get the full understanding of the suffering he has caused, during his every waking moment.

I’d also like to give a similar treatment to Donald Rumsfeld, this one involving the feelings of prisoners at Abu Ghraib.

Bush could stand to experience the feelings of some of the parents of the soldiers who died in his useless little war, firsthand.

Altogether, a very fitting punishment I think.

Maybe the cleverest members don’t indulge in this sort of crap.

I’d put him in a prison with all the other terrorists we’ve captured, and not feed them anything. I’d let them suck each other off for the protein necessary to live.

I agree, 100%.

The justice we dispense should not shame us.

Obviously for many, many reasons we should just try him and lock him up in a cell forever. Don’t give him the death penalty because it would only increase the resolve of terrorists, and it would demoralize us, etc. Plus we have ethics and thigs like that…
But if you want to go for an eye-for-an-eye thing then I would simply just drop him in the middle of Manhattan on a busy day, and announce it. I am sure he’d get his punishment.

But then I also agree that Bush has done just as much harm. He’s probably killed more innocents than OBL. I know, I know, he has good intentions, but its still probably true.

Well, at least you didn’t move it to Great Debates.

343 of my brothers are dead. Given the opportunity, I’d cap OBL in a heart beat.

Hate the chain, but love yank?

You lot are just too pansy-arsed to mete out punishment.

I reckon you should make him editor of Readers Digest for a year, followed by being dressed up as Ronald MacDonald for another year or so, then he’d have to be a religious instructor in a fundamentalist Christian school, then employed as a sniffer dog at major international airports until retirement.

Then he should be made a moderator on the SDMB.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Many would Call ObL’s intentions good, it’s just a matter of perspective.

**Diogenes the Cynic ** suggests that OBL should be found guilty of some crime first. OBL himself released a video tape in which we can see OBL and his co-conspirators gloating over 911 and remarking that the attack succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Is OBL guilty? Beyond all rational argument.

FisherQueen suggests that OBL should be tried in an international court. Such a trial would take forever. And given the degree of anti-Americanism in Europe and Brussels, such a court might turn OBL loose just to spite us.

Caveman, Left Hand of Darkness, Merkwurdigliebe and Padeye suggest that making a martyr of OBL would only serve to inflame the terrorists and toughen their resolve. The terrorists are already committed 100% to our destruction. They hate us with every fiber of their being. Their hatred goes beyond all rationality. All they talk about is killing us. All they think about is killing us. Their dreams are filled with visions of blazing American cities, strewn with the corpses of millions. Inflame the terrorists? How can they possibly hate us more than they already do?

Czarcasm, clairobscur, danceswithcats, Diogenes the Cynic, FisherQueen, Ilsa_Lund, Lissa, Mangetoute and Merkwurdigliebe all suggest that we should maintain the “moral high ground” and eschew “juvenile revenge fantasies.” Aw, isn’t that sweet? The terrorists are utterly remorseless and have no moral qualms whatsoever about what they do. Against such an enemy, taking the moral high ground is nothing but pointless, preening posturing.

For the record, terrorists have *no rights whatsover * under any known body of national or international law, including the Geneva Convention. Technically, they can be summarily executed and they can be tortured. Especially they can be tortured. The fact that we treat captured terrorists with any decency at all is due simply to good manners.

I was not happy with the abuses perpetrated at Abu Ghraib prison, but I would like to point out that all those victims are still alive, in tolerable good health, with their heads firmly attached to their torsos.

At the Beslan school massacre, two nine-year-old girls were raped prior to having their throats cut. Other girls were raped as well. A 18-month-old infant was shot in the head. A young boy was stabbed in the belly for asking for water. Another youngster was shot in the back 46 times as he tried to escape.

In the US, a terrorist suspect was recently found carrying the floor plans for the schools in six different school districts. Draw your own conclusions.

My point is this: Hate is our ally.

The War on Terror is just beginning. It may last for another 100, 200 or 300 years. Without great courage and strength of will, we cannot prevail. Hate will give us that strength. Hate will keep us alive.

When I started this thread, I was honestly looking for serious suggestions. But I was not so naive as to believe that some Dopers would not offer frivolous or vindictive ideas. To those of you who did offer weird, creative or sadistic suggestions, I say: Bless you. You obviously have the passion - *the hate * - necessary to sustain us in the long fight ahead.

You are a disturbed individual.

Thise who torture are evil. There are no exceptions to that rule, IMO, and no good can come from evil actions.

What you suggest is that we become as bad as they are. What possible good can come of that?

If hate is to be our ally and life imprisonment in place of martydom is not to be the message we send to civilisation, so be it.

Let us hate, and not show weakness.

Let us hate those fuckers who, when Gorbachev asked for help to eliminate murderous fundamentalist butchers and install democracy in Afghanistan, refused and supported those murderous fundamnetalist butchers.

Let us hate neoconservatism and its fucked up 2000 year old philosophy, and not show weakness.

Let us fight the neoconservatives, by any means necessary.

Let us hate.

Yeesh, I hardly know how to respond to SentientMeat. The obvious aim of the Soviet Union was to occupy a sovereign nation (Afghanistan) in order to gain access to a warm-water port. It seems to me that establishing democracy there would have been somewhat out of character for a communist superpower.

And SentientMeat’s reference to "neoconservatism and its f***ed 2000 year old philosophy is a little disconcerting given that “neoconservative” is nothing but a polite liberal euphemism for “Jew.”

Regardless of how you feel about the Jews they are NOT our enemy and they have never done anything to deserve genocide and Israel has a right to exist. I sincerely hope that the average Doper is beyond paranoid fantasies about Jewish bankers running the world. *The Protocols of Zion * have no place on the SDMB.

Nor him to you, I imagine.

Translation: I have no clue as to how to respond to SentientMeat, so I’ll dream up a strawman about anti-semitism and go with that instead. SentientMeat hasn’t said a word about Jews, but hey, maybe I can get a couple of dunces over to our side.

‘Neoconservative’ is not a euphemism for ‘Jew’, you hate-filled dyslexic prick. It is a political movement based on the philosophy of Leo Strauss, crucially holding to Plato’s sickening notion of the elite telling “noble lies”. These neoconsevatives’ support of those brave Afghan freedom fighters against the Evil Soviet Empire ultimately caused 9/11.

If there is anyone we should hate, it is they.

Erratum: Leo Strauss.

Terrorists, of course, not being human.

Your journey to the dark side is almost complete.

Daniel