Howard Cosell and John Lennon

Does anyone know where I can read what Howard Cosell said when reporting the death of John Lennon? I cant find it anywhere,thanks for your help.

Go to this page and click on cut 10. Wave file of Howard on that very sad night, the night I started liking Howard a lot more.
http://oldies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=oldies&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.995themountain.com%2Fguides%2Faahtml%2Fjohnaudio.html

Jim

Thanks for that ,but what I really need is a print out of what was said,anywhere else you know of?

For those unable or unwilling to listen to a WAV file, according to the Wikipedia page on Lennon, Cosell said, “This, we have to say it, is just a football game, no matter who wins or loses. An unspeakable tragedy, confirmed to us by ABC News in New York City. John Lennon, outside of his apartment building on the West Side of New York City, the most famous perhaps of all of The Beatles, shot twice in the back, rushed to Roosevelt Hospital, dead on arrival.”

If you didn’t love and hate Howard Cosell simultaneously then you weren’t paying much attention to him. If you loved him you were an uninformed idiot and if you hated him you were an uninformed idiot. There are few characters that come along that are as so frustrating. His interaction with Muhammad Ali is legendary.

Does anyone have a clip of Howard and George Foreman just before halftime of a Monday Night Green Bay Game. George launched into Howard and accused him of being a racist. The producers and cameraman exacerbated the situation by not cutting away while George laid into him. They hung Howard out to dry. It was pretty nasty.

It wasn’t really fair on Foreman’s part and later I think things got patched up but it was a dramatic event in live TV.

Anyone who heard Howard Cosell on “Monday Night Baseball” and DIDN’T loathe him was an uninformed idiot.

Howard was a bad (and frequently drunk) football announcer, but he was a painfully inept, lazy, uninformed baseball announcer.

I thought Howard was a great Boxing announcer, a poor football announcer and the worst Baseball announcer ever. I use this exact description to explain him to a friend that is only 30.

Jim

I would still like to know where i could find the full dialogue of what he said…I know he starts by saying"I,m sorry Frank" and quotes some poetry,i cant find the damn thing anywhere.

I hope it is ok to zombie this thread. I cannot find anything on this subject.

Anyone?

Yeah, it’s ok. I’ll go have a look.

I think the problem is NFL films. They evidently won’t release tons of films.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:kmVq4d4M0VkJ:www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-64230.html+"my+heart+aches"+cosell+nfl&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

Cosell recited a line from Keats, “My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains my sense.” Interestingly, this was on Cosell’s tombstone.

I think this is a lost cause, unless NFL films releases those clips.

Well shoot…I know it is in a book called Monday Night Madness but i cant find a copy of that either.

The audio can be heard at the very beginning of this youtube clip

Thanks for that, but Howard goes on about John for a spell quoting poetry and stuff.

Good point, but if you’re somewhere around worshipping Lennon, please read “The Beatles”:

This puts to rest the sanitized version of The Beatles that has been perpetuated by the members and by the Boomer Press that loved them.

JL became a drugged out hippie, almost a liability in the band, and due in no small part to Yoko. I’ve read the entire book.

Why should this book be taken as more true, than any other story about the Beatles out of interest? I am also curious about this ‘sanitized version’ of John, when most boomers have blamed Yoko for the break-up, know yell that the Beatles were using various drugs and John more than most, that he had a year or two post-Beatles where he did little and was apparently living with other women that Yoko. So what ‘sanitized version’ are we to be disabused of?

Jim

The sanitized version of so many fan books I’ve read, which treat the Beatles as if they were demigods, and for certain, that fiction called “Anthology”, which skips over almost every possible negative thing about the band.

I grew up with the breakup of the Beatles. While I would treat them as Demi-Gods, like most Demi-Gods they were often petty and flawed. :wink:

Jim

back to the OP…can anyone help?

Really drivin me nuts.

Why can’t you type it out yourself?