How'd the Digital Transition treat you?

Now that were several months down the road, I figured I’d ask how it went for you? We’ve had Satellite for years, and the dish receiver has an over-the-air digital tuner, so it actually improved when they upped the transmission power, but the channels we didn’t already get via satellite are religious, shopping, or hispanic…not channels we normally watch.

So, on a scale from 0 to 4 list your experience, then list your geographic location.

I still don’t get most of the channels to come in clearly quite often. I got my converter and an antenna for one television. My daughter bought a new television. Neither of us get several local channels to come in clearly. They are pixellated and go in and out.

I rarely watch television so it doesn’t bother me too much, but every week I get to find out if I’m going to be able to watch House or wait until it’s on Hulu eight days later. There’s no adjusting it. It’s either in or out at that time.

Oh I would like to mention we DO get several new channels.

Of course they’re all Christian channels when none of us are Christian so we never watch them.

The poll doesn’t work for me.

40 miles from towers in central Wisconsin. Three digital receiver boxes purchased. We now get no new stations, but some have multiple broadcasts. All can be watched on a great conditions day. Half of the stations are unwatchable half the time because of weak signal artifacts or complete failure. During a really bad day they all fail. I don’t even try to watch broadcast television now. I watch shows online because of the lack of reliability of our digital broadcasts. As for live radar weather coverage for severe storms we don’t have it now, because the signal fails, and don’t tell me a emergency radio is anywhere as good.

I had to get cable. I went from getting 16 analog stations over the air (OTA) to NOT ONE digital station. I only live 3 miles NW of Willis Tower (Sears Tower) in Chicago, but the buildings and such block all the digital signals

I already had an HD receiver for a couple years when the official switch happened. The changes I’ve seen have just been the addition of more channels. I was only getting 9 channels or so with analog and only 5 of those were tolerable to watch really. Once I went digital they all came in. I’m in a 3rd floor apartment, about 4 miles north of the main broadcast towers in Chicago. I did shell out $180 for the HD though, so maybe it’s just a better receiver than those converter boxes.

Hmm, I can’t live more than a couple of miles from you, and we get dozens of digital stations over the air with a pretty cheap indoor antenna and converter box. The switch has potentially delayed our capitulation to cable forever.

I lost a few fringe signals, and I now sometimes have to repostion the antenna to get stable reception from some stations. I also had to upgrade my antenna with one I got free from WRAL-TV.

I never watched TV anyway (well ok, I watch the daily show on hulu) so I picked no change.

I guess it did make the small TV I have in my closet useless as anything except a paperweight though.

I guess none of the above - I quit cable, because our box broke and we realized all we missed was the clock. So I figured we could get a little antenna for local channels although we never watch them, you know, in case somebody we know is on the news or for when there’s a hurricane or whatever. But I can’t get any channels, so we gave up - we have no TV but don’t miss it.

NJ suburb of NYC here.

In anticipation I got a digital convertor box ahead of time with the gov. sponsored coupon. But lost all of my TV upon conversion so I got a new indoor antenna. I’m on the wrong side (not facing NYC) of an apartment building. Got one station to work when I put the antenna high up on a bookcase near the ceiling. When the wind blew, it went out.

Returned the useless antenna and got a cable and screwed it into the wall to the Dish network connection in our apartment complex. Basic stuff for $10/mo. Network + USA, TLC, Weather, etc. Upgrade is available but this is good enough for me.

I’m a child of the 50s and grew up on TV. I want my TV!

I think the conversion was hideous. They made it sound so easy and that the conversion box was the answer and you might need a new indoor antenna. Neither worked here. A lot of older people than me very confused and left with makeshift TV watching if they don’t go cable. Yeah, I’m on the older side but I’m computer literate and do graphics, etc. So I’m into technology. Sorry for people who aren’t in this case.

I out small town (which fits) but “suburb of metro area” might be better (though not a MAJOR metro area - main city is ~50,000 but big enough to have multiple TV stations)

After transition I didn’t get NBC very well. It would come in about 10% of the time. Now another NBC station has a local digital translator and it comes in very well.

NBC was kind of bad before the transition. So I now get all the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CW, My network TV), plus PBS has two subchannels (Wisconsin Channel and Create) (Both my ABC and NBC have the same CW subchannel, My Network TV is a CBS subchannel for me)

So I’m getting everything I got before plus some extras

Brian

I got all my channels, with a better reception, plus more channels.

I didn’t get CBS for a while but when football season came up I re-scanned and now I get CBS pretty well.

It does suck having the “all or nothing” reception - sometimes I’d rather just watch snow. But all-in-all, it worked out well for me.

It hasn’t affected me; I’m between TV sets. :slight_smile:

I live in Toronto, which is going through its own similar NTSC -> ATSC transition, just a couple of years later. Unusually for Canada, though, we have a wide variety of OTA HD channels.

Thanks to a spell of brokeness, I gave up cable about five years ago. Even then I hadn’t had an actual ‘TV set’ for some years; I just plugged the analogue output from a VCR into my computer monitor. The VCR’s cable-ready tuner was plugged into analogue basic cable.

Giving up the cable changed surprisingly-little. If I really want to watch something, I watch it on the web. Sites like Hulu are closed to Canadians unless we use more Internet subterfuge than I can be bothered to deal with, but CTV, the CBC, and other channels make a surprising amount available.

I suspose I’ll get a tuner stick for my computer at some point. Eventually I might get a nice flatscreen, but that will probably be driven more by desire to watch HD movies (translation: I can’t get the right adaptor to watch it on my iMac) than by desire to watch broadcasts. Unless some field of study requires that I watch a channel available only on cable or satellite.

I haven’t watched TV in so long, that until I saw this thread I didn’t recall that I hadn’t gotten around to getting one of those converter things. I went and checked and yup, no reception.

I voted “little change”–with a twist. I got rid of my cable and went to strictly local broadcast channels.

I had Comcast’s “limited basic” before the changeover. After the conversion they cut a bunch of channels out of the package and raised the price. I was down to one cable channel that I even cared about (Discovery), for $17 a month. The next tier cost $50 a month–just not worth it for me.

So I hooked up the converter box that I got with my $40 coupon. The common apartment antenna feed works perfectly well. I get all the local channels clear as a bell, and I no longer have a cable bill. Works for me!

FWIW I noticed that if a Football game was playing on the dish and I’ve got the channel locally, that the OTA signal seems to be a little better than DishNetwork.

A don’t know if a digital signal deteriorates from being uplinked a few times, but Dish uses different bandwidths for some channels.

OP: I have Dishnetwork and 4DTV satellite. My latest DVD Harddrive recorder has a digital tuner, ans I ufe that instead of Dish for some programs.

I have cable, so technically I should just say “no change at all.” However, I’ve always had one or two sets that weren’t hooked up, and the reception on them is annoyingly all or nothing.

I realize I could put a cheap antenna on my roof and solve the problem, but I have cable, so what’s the point?

I only voted my area - there was no good “change choice” for me. I wanted “major change for the better”.

I went from 3 channels OK “over the air” to 14 pretty darn reliable. And enough variety that I’m probably telling Comcrap to pull their cable soon. I’ll lose History and Discovery but I can always buy or rent the entire seasons of the shows I care for/about.