HTC 1 in sunlite = FAIL

That was interesting.
Unfortunately it means I still have to but a bag over my head… Oh… wait… I meant… ::: sigh :::

That’s what I do, in addition to moving to a nearby shady spot, if possible. If there’s no shade nearby, merely turning my back to the sun, or holding the phone in the shadow of a light standard will work, too.

I also have a Galaxy S2.

You should know better than to say “never” in regards to technology, with few exceptions (like a perpetual motion machine).

What **SoP **said: turn around so the shadow from your head blocks direct sunlight.

BTW, one of the points with transflective displays are that they DON’T take a butt load of power to run in reflective mode, which is how you’re intended to read them in sunlight. In fact, low power consumption is a point in their favor. One trouble with transflectives is that when backlit, the contrast and saturation compare unfavorably to a standard LCD screen. That may be an equitable trade for certain devices. For instance, the handheld GPS I mentioned which you are very likely to want to read in direct sunlight, and don’t need an exquisite photo quality display to read. It would make sense to use them on dumb phones or “feature phones” which you aren’t going to watch movies on (personally, I don’t want to watch a movie on a dinky phone screen no matter HOW good the display is, but that’s just me).

It’s interesting to note that Pixel Qi is now selling replacement display kits for installing their sunlight readable, low power display on existing devices. They seemingly have yet to score an OEM deal with a large vendor, though they have a lot of smaller ones, mostly for specialty devices.

You could get that phone with the dual e-ink and lcd display http://www.yotaphone.com/
e-paper (and e-ink) displays work very well in sunlight (see : kindle) because they use reflected light, not a backlight

I just watched a tips and tricks video for the GS4, and one thing they mentioned was to switch to auto brightness in the sun. Something about the most bright setting being reserved for when it’s really needed in bright sunlight and that brightness isn’t available in manual settings because the manufacturer doesn’t want the display turned up that high all the time. Eh. Worth a try.