HTML Experts, I need your help!!

So, like every other person in north america, I’ve got a web site, and the layout is something that I’ve put a lot of thought into…it’s gone through several stages of development as my HTML skills have slowly improved. Now, I’ve finally gotten it to a point where I’m pretty darn proud of it…BUT the HTML tags I’ve used to imbed frames into it do not work with Netscape!!! The design for the site hinges upon being able to imbed these damn frames and the <iframe> tag seemed to be the answer to all my prayers….damn you Netscape and your bloated crappy browser! Anywhoo, is there a work around for this, like another tag I’m not aware of, or is it just going to not work with Netscape?

If you want to look at the source code it’s www.projectmonkey.com

Nope, inline frames do not, have not, and probably never will work with NS. (Well, it might work with NS 6.0, but what’re the odds of any of the 12 people who actually use it stumbling on your site?)

If you insist on keeping the one screen length format, you’ll pretty much have to resort to a regular frameset. If you’re using iframes for ease of editing (e.g., you can edit a bunch of HTML files instead of one big one), you can use server side includes, though this’ll definitely result in a long ass page.

Your last option, and this is something that I wouldn’t be able to pull off myself, is to have browser specific pages. Which is to say that you use javascript (maybe it could be accomplished with ASP as well?) to add a browser detect to your site, and to load different versions of the page depending on what it finds. Basically, it should bring up your iframe enabled page if it finds MSIE and a long ass server side include page if it doesn’t (this’ll also catch Opera, Lynx, and other browsers that probably don’t support iframe). There might be free java scripts/applets out there that’ll let you do this, as it doesn’t seem to be a terribly complicated thing to do, but YMMV.

Good luck and have fun. :wink:

Not to sound flip, but I have a better layout suggestion if you’re just getting started with HTML… don’t use frames.

Pick up a copy of “Web Design In A Nutshell” by Jennifer Neiderst, it’s a good intro and reference for making web pages.

-fh, who is learning the finer points of CSS as we speak

If you look at what I’ve done with the imbedded frames, I think you’ll see that it’s not your standard, run-of-the-mill, frames heavy geocities kinda crap. I think frames have a bad rap because people over use them, and usually employ them in the most unelegant of manners…and that is not what I’m trying to do.

Well, I just might have to do a javascript browser detector, and give a notice to non-Explorer users that they’re not getting the Project Monkey experience…it just ticks me off that such a useful tag isn’t utilized by the competition. I used to be a huge Netscape reporter, but now their browser is a fat piece of crap, loaded down with extras nobody uses, and missing some of the more dynamic aspects of HTML. Oh well…Bill wins yet again :mad:

(BTW, Watership Down is on of my favorite books of all time!!!)

I was not a “reporter” of Netscape, but a “supporter”…sheesh, what a maroon.