HTML: How can I redirect from one URL to a subdirectory of another?

I think what I need is along the lines of a meta refresh-type thing. Here’s what I’ve got going on:

1. I built a site for an event my company is hosting, which resides here: www.mycompany/eventname/index.htm

2. I registered a domain name for the event: www.eventname.com

So…
How can I make visitors who type in the URL www.eventname.com go straight to www.mycompany.com/eventname/index.htm ?

I know it’s possible, but my HTML book and web searches aren’t turning up anything. Anyone know any HTML magic that will make this happen?

Try this…

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Type the title of your page here</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=“refresh” CONTENT=“10; url=
http://www.mycompany.com/eventname/index.html”>

</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff" TEXT="#000000" LINK="#0000ff"
VLINK="#808080" alink="#ff0000" marginheight=“0” marginwidth=“0”
topmargin=“0” leftmargin=“0”>

<br>
<div align=“center”>
<h3>Just one moment please …</h3>

<p>You will be redirected in a few moments or you can <a href="
http://www.mycompany.com/eventname/index.html">click here to
continue</b></a>

</div>

</BODY>
</HTML>

there are two ways (atleast) to do this.

the expensive way: [sub-domain pointers]

get the website hosting company of mycompany.com to offer you and setup a sub-domain pointer for mycompany.com/eventname

e.g. sub-domain pointer www.eventname.com points to www.mycompany.com/eventname

some hosting companies do not offer this service, some offer it for a fee.

the free way :slight_smile: : [url forwarding]

i had the same issue when i setup my site… and this is how i did it…

go to www.mydomain.com and sign up. no really, that’s the website address, not an example :slight_smile:

transfer the hosting (not the registrar) of www.eventname.com to www.mydomain.com’s service. how this is done is explained on their site.

once the domain is transferred to mydomain.com (about 48 hrs) , login to the control panel and setup domain forwarding. www.eventname.com will now point to www.mycompany.com/eventname

this method is simple, efficient and free. i have used the service for over 2 years and therefore can vouch for their reliability and level of service.

so that you understand how it’s done, i shall link my site here:

my problem was i couldn’t afford hosting space… so i got some space on www.ideadutch.com/notcomguys

and i registered the domain name www.notcomguys.com

now i wanted www.notcomguys.com to resolve to www.ideadutch.com/notcomguys/index.htm

i also had an additional requirement… i needed this to be done without the reader seeing www.ideadutch.com/notcomguys in the url bar when s/he comes to my site. i needed the url bar to display www.notcomguys.com

this is done by using a feature called stealth forwarding in the control panel options of mydomain.com

so here’s my site… you can see the end result:

http://www.notcomguys.com

(note how it’s hosted on another site’s subdirectory)

if you have any further questions, lemme know…

addendum:

you also get full use of any number of anyemailaddress@eventname.com

so you can setup email addresses such as info@eventname.com, register@eventname.com etc.