Humphrey Bogart

I know that his break was The Petrified Forest, but was there a watershed role were he became the protagonist rather than the bad guy?

I’ve always heard that it was Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon, (1941) but that’s a little too easy. Anyone have more specific information?

They Drive by Night (1940) … Paul Fabrini-Good Guy
… aka Road to Frisco, The (1940) (UK)

Brother Orchid (1940) … Jack Buck ?

It All Came True (1940) … Chips Maguire, aka Mr. Grasselli ?

Virginia City (1940) … John Murrell-Bad guy

…but not *iconic * good guys.

True. but not offing Ashley Wilkes, either. :slight_smile:

I was going to say Kid Galahad, but he wasn’t the nicest guy in that, either.

*The Petrified Forest * really didn’t do that much for Bogart’s career. As good as it was – and as good as he was – it really wasn’t until High Sierra, The Maltese Falcon, and Casablanca that he started doing well, and he was only a good guy – sort of – in the latter two. And he still played his share of bad guys after that, such as *The Two Mrs. Carrolls * and The Desperate Hours, and not all that good of a guy in *The Caine Mutiny * and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Can anyone who’s watched it, tell me if the Roger Ebert commentary on “Casablanca” is worth the price of admission?

I turned it off after 10 minutes. I think his Citizen Kane commentary was very informative, but his discussion of Casablanca (at least the part I heard) had few interesting observations, mostly restating the obvious or already well-known.

Not watershed, but some early good-guy roles for Bogart:

Marked Woman (1937) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029217/ – in which he plays a district attorney

Crime School (1938) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030026/ – a Dead End Kids movie in which Bogart reforms a reform school.
I found Roger Ebert’s commentary on “Casablanca” somewhat informative, but became quickly irritated by his snarking on Paul Henreid any time Victor Laszlo was on the screen. Okay, Roger, you like Bogart better and this is not Henreid’s best performance – I get it.

I’ll have to agree on Ebert’s Casablanca commentary. I was excited about it after his excellent work on Citizen Kane, but it just wasn’t as informative or interesting.

But the book “Round Up the Usual Suspects” is worthwhile as a Casablanca history.

Remember for much of Bogarts career (until Casablanca) he was the guy you cast when you couldn’t get George Raft.

Aw, poop. I like Henreid’s performance.

If I’d been in Ingrid Bergman’s size 14 brogans, I’d’a picked Victor over Rick easy.
[sub]Wait…was Bergman the one with the huge feet, or am I mixing her up with Garbo?[/sub]

And he was second choice for Casablanca, as well. Behind shudder Ronnie Reagan.

Garbo may have been self-conscious about her feet, and there were rumours about their gargantuan size, but she was actually 7AA which is not at all unusual for a woman of her height.

Snopes says false.

According to TCM last Sunday, true. With a quote from the director. So… which do you believe?

Edit: Walloon, this is not to say I distrust what Snopes puts out. Just that it seems to be a case of hearsay on both sides. My mother used to tell me “believe half of what you hear, and none of what you read (in the media).”

But. as Snopes points out, the casting decision wasn’t Curtiz’s or Warner’s, it was Wallis.’

Wallis sent a note while the movie was still being scripted (which, technically, it was for most of its shooting schedule) that said “Casablanca was being written for Humphrey Bogart.”

You know what they say about girls with big feet…