Hydrogen Peroxide vs household bleach

Huh? Where did I compare ozone to bleach? I tried to explain what ozone is, and how some swimming pools or water treatments use it instead of/ in addition to chlorine - that’s elementary chlorine, or Cl2, the green poison gas.

I didn’t and don’t advocate bleach for cleaning in a normal household, because I don’t see any necessity (toilets backing up inside the bathroom is not what I consider a normal household ;)) And precisly the effect of the chlorine in bleach* reacting with things is one of the reasons I advise against using bleach. Not only do people with lack of chemical knowledge and lack of common sense reading the labels still manage to mix up poison gas themselves and affect their health, chlorine gas itself that escapes as part of the reaction is still not benefical for the health of your lungs, esp. breathing it regularly over a long time, because you clean every week with chlorine bleach.

I also don’t recommend Peroxide for cleaning in a normal household, because I don’t see the necessity, either. (I do have a 3% solution for wound cleaning).

• Is this AE usage that bleach only refers to those products with chlorine as acting agents? Because bleach used for washing clothes also works with oxygen - since O2 itself, without O3 ozone, is already a strong enough bleaching agent.

People still think that after eating poison, the first thing to do is induce vomiting, instead of just calling the poison hotline + getting the person/ animal to the next hospital/ doctor? I thought everybody had heard by now that you never ever induce vomiting, because that’s for the medical experts to decide; and the only way to induce vomiting is salt water?

Yup, people still do that; some veterinarians still recommend H2O2, especially if the pet lives far away from the nearest clinic, but only in certain situations, only at a certain dose, and only once (repeated administration makes side effects more likely and benefits less likely). In human medicine, they have all but abandoned inducing vomiting due to risk of aspiration and just manage the toxicity as it happens; cats and dogs are less likely to aspirate and are also less likely to have someone willing to foot the bill for hemodialysis, mechanical ventilation, extensive blood transfusions (in the case of rat poison), etc., so inducing vomiting is still used. However, as you say, that’s for a veterinary person to decide (you can’t rely on human poison control centers to know about species difference in risk), as some ingested things may cause more damage if vomited up, and if the toxin/foreign object is benign the vet may not consider the risks worth the benefits.

I was just reading a vet discussion on methods of inducing emesis, and using salt is NOT a very safe way to induce vomiting, as the central nervous system (among other body parts) is not very forgiving of large osmotic swings caused by rapid increase in serum sodium concentrations. Some of them had seen small pets who had sodium levels far above what you see even in most disease processes, and the pet required hospitalization on IV fluids to bring its electrolyte status back to normal. There were also multiple cases shared of animals DYING because the hydrogen peroxide had burned holes in their GI tract. The consensus was for clients to call the vet and, if they were close enough, GO to the vet or emergency clinic to have vomiting induced. There are injectable and even transmucosal drugs that can be used to induce vomiting which do not cause hypernatremia or gastric irritation but work by directly stimulating the CRTZ, the vomit center of the brain. Some of them can even be reversed with another drug so that you pet doesn’t have to keep horking its brains out - technical term - after the offending substance has been produced.

My apologies for the extraneous apostrophe in the last post; I really AM literate, but I just noticed it.