Hypothetically, how could I drive down the value of my neighbor's house?(long)

Cool, yeah, I wish mine was that big. But in ham radio, as in life, it’s not the size, it’s what you do with it that counts.

I too wouldn’t advocate running a deliberately messy show for prospective neighbors–if you’re conspicuously sitting around in wifebeaters drinking beer and tinkering with the ol’ pickup truck during Sunday afternoon viewings, you’re gonna end up with new neighbors who also sit around on Sunday afternoons in wifebeaters drinking beer and tinkering with the ol’ pickup truck.

And since you describe your other neighbors as already halfway to the whole wifebeater/beer/pickup truck demographic, personally I’d be out there delivering fresh homebaked cookies to any prospective buyers who show up in an SUV, and in my best June Cleaver outfit, too.

Pearls included.

Hey! That looks a lot like my place. 70 Ft tower with four antennas. :smiley:

If the house is now vacant, why are the stakes still there? BTW, she can’t replant them if they’re missing altogether…

There is nothing you can do to lower her property values without also lowering your own.

What the hell are the “wifebeaters” being referenced, ie “wearing a torn up…”?

Is this the B-wear from caveat emptor?

Crude but common word for a white undershirt.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks the OP is cruel for wanting to do this in the first place… neighbors from Hell do exist. Sometimes there’s only one side to the story, and it belongs to the person who doesn’t yell racial slurs and Biblical quotes across the fence at young children.

Well, to be exact, it is the crude but common word for a white tank top style undershirt.

Make an offer on the house. If you buy it, then you can rent it out to people who you like.

The wifebeater gets its name from being the shirt of choice of the drunken, worthless loser who likes to, well, beat his wife. It is, as was mentioned a common term for a tank top style men’s undershirt. Most commonly, it is of the white-ish colour, and usually includes lots of stains and holes. My suggestion of wearing a torn-up, dirty wifebeater was intentionally redundant. :smiley:

So you moved into our old house, I take it.

Slight hijack to the Tale of the Craaaaaaaazy Neighbour:

Half of us were just out of college and moving into a place. The other half of us were a couple and their adorable baby. On a given day, they could look either like the Cleavers or Sid and Nancy with the most adorable strawberry blonde baby girl in the universe.

When they were moving in, they’d gone the Cleaver route. The fellow next door – fifty something or sixty something, thereabouts, but I would not call him a gentleman – called over the fence that it was good to see a nice white couple moving into the neighbourhood.

Yeah.

When I have more time I’ll have to tell the Crazy Man Parking Tale.

Yup. It’ll sell for what it’s worth, to people who want it for that price.

My best advice for you would be to do yourselves a great big favour and get over this. Let it go. She’s gone, life is good - don’t taint it with doing nasty things for nasty reasons.

I’d take a different approach, and make it clear to potential buyers just what sort of neighbors you would be.

Have kids? Make sure that the swingset or bicycles or whatever are visible, and they may think of yours as a kid-friendly neighborhood. Have your picnic table and grill visible out back if you are the sort who want neighbors to stop by. Indians fans?* Have the pennant flying from the porch.

If you devalue the perceived value of your property, you will get neighbors who are comfortable with that.

If so, darn you to heck from this Red Sox fan! :smiley:

And also, why are they still there if they’re on your property? Was the neighbor really replanting them on your property for the past couple of years? or did she put them on the actual property line?

If “on your property” there’s always the risk of what I think is called “adverse possession” (using another’s property against their will) which can, somenow, lead them to be able to get legal ownership of the property.