I "aced" my physics exam!

Just got my (second semester of college) physics exam back, and I aced it with a B-minus-worthy 80%! That might not seem like much, but it was the high score in the class by over 10% (ie, everyone else got a D or F :eek: ) and I got a 62% on our first exam.

In your face, physics! :cool:

Awesome. :: thumbs up ::

I’m in AP Physics B right now (I’m a junior in high school). The teacher I had last semester made his tests with old AP questions and with the AP grading scale, so we would know what to expect on the real AP test. I got a 92% on the final. The highest grade besides mine was in the 60s (I think), which is around the cut-off to get an A.

Yay blank! :smiley:

Congratulations! I’m in my second semester of physics right now and I’m generally thankful for a grade in the fifties. I have to take it for my major (math) and am simply hoping for a D so I can graduate. It’s icky, so I’m really impressed with your 80. You wanna come visit Radford and tutor me? I’ll teach you math! :smiley:

-Mosquito

Congrats. I really liked physics when I was in school, but eventually reached a point where I could not make sense of anything more difficult. Probably had a lot to do with never learning calculus.

But I’m confused. This is the second thread I’ve read today where someone has said they aced a test of one type or another, yet didn’t get 100%. When did the definition of “aced” changed?

The wonder of grade curving, Sean.

Some college courses have exams that just no one can get actual A’s or B’s on because they are very difficult. Instead of the faculty/department figuring out the actual level their students are learning on and write appropriate tests, they just curve the hell out of them when everyone fails.

Congrats! It looks as though few if any of your answers were left “intentionally blank”

I have a course in quantum physics this semester. I scored 80 on the first exam 3 weeks ago and it scaled to an ‘A.’ Though, 89 was the highest.

I typically scored in the sixties on my 1st and 2nd semster physics exams. Having only 50 minutes to take a long physics exam does not build one’s confidence but the grading scale always restores it to some extent.

It’s only a few more weeks 'til I get my BS degree in engineering…yay. :smiley:

I meant “aced” sort of sarcastically. It was a decent grade, but it felt better than getting a 100 in an easier course. In that respect, I felt like I “aced” it. And our professor unfortuntely does not curve grades. :mad: I have to believe that at the end of the semester the university will question why, in a class of 60 honors studnts, the highest grade was a C minus. :sigh:

Let’s hear it for the dead man’s curve! In my junior fluid dynamics course, the mean on one test was below 50, and a grade of 59 was good enough to secure you an A. There were three questions on the fifteen-question test that nobody got right. Likewise, in organic chemistry, the grade curve was a double maximum distribution: a mean of about 40 for the people who hadn’t taken the course before, and a mean of about 60 for the ones who had. When applying a curve to this class, the professors blindly ensured that everyone who had taken the class before would get an A… and everyone who hadn’t would be taking the course again next semester! :smack:

The rare exception to this inexorable grind were the students so bright that they could pass the first two exams with enough of a solid GPA that their inevitable failure on the later material was damped by previous successes. You, blank space, are clearly such a one!

…except for the “inevitable failure” bit, of course. I salute your academic prowess and look forward to your physics knowledge wowing us over in General Questions. Huzzah!