I always take extra freebees, do you?

Whenever I buy a hot dog or drink somewhere that have sugar packets, mayonnaise, mustard etc. I like to take a few extra, just in case.
I don’t want to feel like a total leech so,
I don’t take the last one, or walk out with my pockets full,
but, I take some.

I take packets of Equal or Splenda but that’s it. I will admit when I stay in a hotel, I clean them out of the soap and other little things they leave behind. A shoe mit is handy to polish CDs :slight_smile:

I usually take double what I’m actually going to immediately use. Never know when you’ll have a ketchup emergency!

Vinegar is hard to come by when you’re at work so when I can get them I take a few more of those little packets than I need for what I’m buying.

Same for mayonnaise.

But for things like salt, those little packets never seem to ever run out. They only multiply. As Peter Kay points out - no-one ever runs out of salt.

I might take one more than I believe I’m going to use. If I’m not sure I’ll use any at all (Chinese food: I may take some soy sauce just in case the fried rice is bland), I’ll take a couple.

I don’t take too many, though. They may seem like “freebies”, but they’re really not. The cost of those condiment packets are figured into the price of the food.

Now, some people reason like this: “OK, the price is already figured in, I’m paying the price, I may as well take all I can get for the money I’m spending” (same for taking extra napkins/straws/plastic cutlery).

The flip-side reasoning goes like this: “If everyone takes as many packets of condiments/napkins/plastic cutlery/disposable chopsticks as they can get away with, the restaurants are going to have to raise their prices even more, and everyone has to pay for the fact that I wanted to save on having to buy my ketchup at the Shop N Save” or whatever.

I don’t think either way of thinking is wrong. I just tend towards the second one.

I try to get extra Taco Bell fire sauce because I like it and I can’t find it in the stores.

I never take anything beyond what I expect to use immediately.

I sometimes used to take extras, but I just ended up throwing them away. I don’t do it any more. Now I just take what I need at the time.

No

no, except hotel soap and shampoo.

Or, as Homer would say “Free shower curtains!” (The Last Temptation of Homer)

I usually do, but only things that I’m going to use. I’ll take the hotel extras and keep them in the guest bathroom. I like to have a lot of supplies there as we have guests fairly often. That way, I’ve got supplies for guests as well as back up toiletries if we run out of anything.

I’ll pick up a couple extra packets of sauce and red peppers if I"m getting Mexican or pizza. That way I’ve got some if I forget on a future order.

I will admit I take these things as well. I happen to know (because I have a couple of friends in the hotel biz) that these things get replaced (read: thrown away) whether I use them or not, because of hygiene laws). So I take them and put them in a special box. When the box is full, I donate the stuff to a shelter for abused women or homeless folks.

This isn’t exactly “taking extra freebies,” but I always grab a handful of food on the way out of an all-you-can-eat. I don’t know why I just don’t stay longer and eat. Maybe I’m already full. But the walk to the car gets me hungry, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to, when I ate lunch at school. Having ketchup, hot mustard, relish and the like in a drawer made all sorts of cafeteria food “edible.” Now that I don’t, I usually don’t bother. Except hotel rooms. Those I clean out of everything. Items that don’t replenish my travel kit go into a box, and once a year I give the contents to a local women’s or homeless shelter, just like norine.

Ketchup. Drive through protocol seems to be not to ask the customer if they want any so I naturally assume they still include it (remember when it was a given). I’ll ask for extra ketchup from time to time to maintain stock of it in my car.

A most excellent idea. I always suspected they were thrown away. I used them for camping but was getting inundated with the little blighters.

With self-serve condiments, I’ll be a bit greedy and take plenty of ketchup and napkins etc. such that I’ll likely have some left when I’m finished my meal, but I never take extra to save for a later time. If I’m ordering Chinese take-out, I’ll ask for extra chopsticks because the places I normally shop stopped carrying them a few years ago for some reason, and I don’t want to make an extra trip just for chopsticks (though I suppose I usually use them up on the leftovers of that order anyway).

I tend to take extra napkins just in case something happens and I need them, even if I’m taking the food home. A lifetime of being a klutz tends to make me overcautious in those matters.

The items in hotel rooms only get replaced if they are used. If you leave your bottle of shampoo in the room and it’s not opened it isn’t replaced. These shampoos and soaps have an obvious seal that makes it evident they’ve been opened.

The cost to a hotel for these shampoos is very small. It can range from less than a penny an item to 3¢. I was an asst controller for a few hotels so I know the cost to us. It often depends on the type of product and the chain’s negotiating ability.

But when the hotel charges $4.00 for a 50¢ Snickers bar there’s more than enough profit to be made :smiley:

I go on a lot of road trips and camping trips; those single-serving/one use items make life so much easier…

I usually snag an apple or a bagel from the hotel breakfast bar to snack on later in the day.

When I’m a walk-in at Taco Bell, I always grab extra hot sauce packets.

I always ask for an extra mini bottles of Tabasco, mustard and ketchup at restaurants. The servers are always happy to give them to me.

I have a lifetime supply of hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions and shaving cream packets. Sometimes I’ll luck out when one of those little sewing kits has a needle-threader…those things are lifesavers when you need to mend something.