I am a bad person.

[QUOTE=Billdo]
You obviously didn’t click the link at Post #29.
[/QUOTE]

Does anyone remember what the reason was for the closing of the thread linked to there? The link contained in the final “thread closed” just goes to the present announcement about Saddam’s execution.

-FrL-

[QUOTE=Billdo]
You obviously didn’t click the link at Post #29.
[/QUOTE]
That thread was started at 11:30 pm Central time on the 16th - falls into the “week or so” category I think.

[QUOTE=qwest]
I agree with the exception of the first week or so post 9/11.

It was as if people forgot how to laugh. I don’t know if you saw Letterman or Jon Stewart on their first post 9/11 shows. They were far more serious that we’ll ever see them again. And surprisingly eloquent too. They both basically said that we’ll never be the same, but if we don’t start the process of healing, which includes laughter, then the bastards have already won.

Still - I haven’t heard much, if any, comedy about the 9/11 attacks.
[/QUOTE]

Obviously you don’t listen to Lewis Black. On his End of the Universe CD one of the things that he rants about it is that he had to scrap an entire CD because of the 9/11 attacks. (“20 minutes on Cheney, gone!”) He’s also done some on The Daily Show.

I got this image via email on 9/14/01. I LOVED it!! I really needed the laugh. I think we all did.

[QUOTE=Frylock]
Does anyone remember what the reason was for the closing of the thread linked to there? The link contained in the final “thread closed” just goes to the present announcement about Saddam’s execution.
[/QUOTE]

I believe I recall in September 2002 that there was an announcement prohibiting the bumping of September 11, 2001 threads.

Black humor is often a legitimate means of dealing with an otherwise stressful event. Using it makes no one a bad person in itself.

But you might be a bad person for OTHER reasons. :slight_smile:

Black humor doesn’t make you a bad person it makes you human.
FWIW, I work for a smaller daily newspaper as a reporter/photographer.
A big part of my job is covering crime and the courts in our five county coverage area. I spend a lot of time around law enforcement, prosecutors, etc. and most all of these people have wicked senses of humor. It’s how they deal with what they have to see in their jobs.
Personally, in the five plus years I’ve had this job I’ve photographed and/or written about more than my share of fatal or severe car crashes, house fires, and other assorted tragedies, not to mention the crime scene photos I wind up seeing when I’m covering violent crime cases in court. My wife thinks we’re a little weird (and we probably are), but all of us on the news staff tend to have pretty inappropriate senses of humor and make some pretty rough sounding jokes. We try to keep it amongst ourselves, but sometimes it’s the only the way to keep moving forward and doing what you have to do without losing yourself in the sadness of the situation you’re trying to cover.

I’m entirely too surprised at myself that one of my fellow anthropology majors didn’t make an awful joke the day we had a lecture detailing the horrors of female genital surgery in our Middle Eastern Societies class. I think we were all a bit too disgusted by the images, though. Somewhere in the back of my mind, there’s a joke being formulated amongst all the debris.

Another college favorite of my closest friends was the back and forth telling of Hellen Keller jokes. As often as it happened, I will be selling the kerosene soaked panties at the gates to Hell.

A friend of mine were listening to the news on the radio tonight when a story came on about Israel intending to use mini-nukes against Iranian nuclear facilities, my friend turns to me and says, “I hope we get some good video from that.” To which I responded, “Yeah, if they don’t shoot it in hi-def, I’m gonna be pissed.”