I am a non - artistic doper!!!

I keep getting put down by people. Especially for my art.

“Cant you make something someone would like to look at?”

A common question. The other day, my teacher handed back our dreamcatchers. We had made them for a school project concerning Indians (and their beliefs.) Well, my teacher went up to me and personally gave my dreamcatcher back to me saying, “Christine, This is an excellent dreamcatcher! I dont know why I like it so much, but it is so attractive!”

Of course, I felt flattered. But alas…

A kid sitting next to me said,“Christine. I know Catherine did that dreamcatcher for you because you have absolutely NO artistic talent.”

Gee Thanks. I felt deflated. :rolleyes:

You are not the only one.

I’ve tried for years. My sisters can all do something artistic, but not me.

Even my stick figures look lame. I tried taking an Adobe design class in college, you wouldn’t believe how bad my work was. I passed only because the teacher recognized the effort, not the outcome.

:frowning:

Hang in there, you aren’t alone.

:wink:

Hell, I’m 30something now, and haven’t missed too much out of life from not being able to create what others call artistic stuff.

“Those who can’t hear the music, think the dancer is mad”

You can make art that comes from your heart, or you can paint pretty pictures that everyone likes. Frankly, most people have no taste at all - thus Kincaid is considered to be a great artist, even though what he does is dreck.

Listen to the people who compliment you, and ignore the people who put you down.

No artist desires to prove anything. - Oscar Wilde.

If you like what you create, then it doesn’t matter what others think. Compliments and praise are nice, but they should never be the reason why you create something.