I am the bearded lady- beware my stubble!

Well…I don’t mean to alarm you Deadly but my cousin’s chin hairs ended up with the look and feel of little wires. Those puppies were the Hulks of Hairs or some damn thing. Yeesh.

Could be it’s just her though. Maybe next time you see your Doc you could ask if the “plucking=feeding” scenario makes any sense medically.

:eek:

I recommend you put all your shavings in a box and mail them to Bippy the Beardless. Ryan_Liam is sticking Bippy’s pubes to his face right now, and that’s just gross.

I have a few hairs that come and go on my chin (one or two at a time). I am able to “pluck them to oblivion”. I keep plucking them suckers, and eventually they give up and stop growing. My sister reports the same results.

This technique is not foolproof, however. I have a hair on my neck that will not go away, no matter how much I pluck.

Interesting, Yosemitebabe. As I posted somewhere above, alot of my eyebrow hairs have given up the ghost, too. And some of the ones that do come back, come back in pointing upwards or somehow growing “against the grain” as if the follicle has been damaged, which it probably has. I can’t really tell if they’re any thicker though.

I guess it’s an individual thing. Maybe it’s to do with the area of the body, follicle damage, hormone levels, who knows.

I’ve got that chin hair thing going on too (as well as a mustache that 16 year old boys would kill for) thanks to my beautiful, thick, naturally dark hair (insert sarcasm smiley). I would just yank it all out with waxing, except my upper lip and chin go numb for as long as it takes for the hair to grow back in. I’m also planning to do the laser hair removal thing as soon as I can afford it. Meanwhile, I’ll just keep on plucking and bleaching. ::sigh::

3 words for you: Laser Hair Removal

They can give you a cream to numb the area, otherwise it feels like a rubberband snap. It will take a few visits as they only can zap hairs permanently when they are in a growth stage.

Best of luck whatever path you take luv…

Vaniqa costs an arm and a leg, your first born child, and 4 centuries worth of razor blades. If you’re only worried about your chin, I suppose it might only be the arm and the leg. Spiro is cheap - and it helps the excess fur all over. Also, if you manufacture enough grease with your skin to run a small car, it helps with that too. Granted, not for those desiring to create immediate offspring, but extremely useful for those who aren’t. I get mine from our friendly neighboring country to the north - a half year’s worth for 90 bucks. Can’t beat that with a stick. Alas, I am post menopausal, thus my fur is grey and not a good candidate for laser treatment. PCOS sucks the big fat one. I didn’t get any treatment for it until I was pushing 50. Hope you found a good doctor. Most tend to minimize our distress. One said my hair wasn’t that bad - I said, Great! Enough to be really annoying, but not enough to make a living in the side show. Bah! Also, the low carb thing is good for PCOS’ers. We nearly all are insulin resistant - thus prone to excess poundage. They’re getting around to discovering that the excess insulin may be the primary culprit in PCOS. Just food for thought.

It was my impression that laser hair removal was cautioned against for those with dark skin, because the skin absorbs a lot of the laser light as well. This can do Bad Things to it, including loss of pigmentation (and I suspect something roughly equivalent to a nasty sunburn).

I’m far from an expert on the subject, so don’t take my word for this. I have however looked into it a little, and I’m fairly sure I remember hearing such a caution.

I’ve always been told that plucking is better than shaving for several reasons.

Shaving cuts the hair off at skin level so when it regrows it will be blunt-ended so it will feel tougher, stubblier, and appear darker. Also shaved hair grows back quicker, thus the risk of razor burn, cuts, etc. Not very purdy on a lass.

Plucking takes the hairs out from beneath the skin so when it regrows it will be pointy, not blunt. It will appear lighter and not be so prickly.

Electrolocis kills off hair by hair. It takes quite a while to clear an area - not only multiple visits but one at a time takes ages. Laser and light removal do it in patches. It may still take a few visits, because as mentioned hair can only be killed off when it is in growth phase.

Both methods used to be touted as being best suited to lighter skinned darker haired people. However, as the technology improves all skin types can experience benefits. It is also getting much cheaper than it used to be.

Oooh, Deadly, I feel your pain!!!

I have PCOS too, and throughout most of puberty I was fat and had a beard. No ordinary beard either; I have light reddish-brown hair everywhere on my body except my neck. My eyebrows don’t grow back. The hair on my arms can best be described as pink. The PCOS-beard, however, was black and wiry. UGH!

Tweezing and Ortho Tri Cyclen have worked for me, but I still have to give 'em a good check every morning.

-M

My reproductive endocrinologist told me triphasic(sp?) pills are bad for people with pcos- you have no complications with it?
To all those who suggest laser hair removal- when i get some money I may have to- but as I am dark skinned I am cautious

Pohojen- your post cracked me up :slight_smile:

I think we should all unite against facial hair grrr

Women with PCOS will probably not have much luck with a hair removal method alone-- your hair is being exacerbated by your condition (as if you needed me to tell you that). Metformin, weight management, and antiandrogens combines with a permanent method are probably your most effective options. However, PCOS has variations which render some of these options less effective, depnding on your combination of symptoms.

General discussion:

http://www.hairtell.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24

Two interesting reports on PCOS and hirsutism:

http://www.hairtell.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000002

http://www.hairtell.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000003

thanks jokestress :slight_smile:

Sorry this took so long! My endocrinologist prescribed it for me almost two and a half years ago, and it has helped a lot. I tried weight management first, and even though I lost 55 pounds it nothing to make the hair stop growing. Taking the pills inhibited the growth of The Devil’s Beard, but didn’t stop it altogether. My cystic acne went away, as did the rest of the symptoms.

I’m going to try laser hair removal over the next few weeks. I am sick of tweezing every day!

-M