I believe I have discovered the worst “food” item in existence

Well, when it starts making you fat…

Seriously, a bowl of Lucky Charms or Golden Grahams was how I made it through the Global Time-Out. Well, now I’m trying to take that weight off, and I’m back to Shredded Mini-Wheats ‘n’ Bran every morning.

But once I lose another ten pounds? I’ve got some Cinnamon Toast Crunch waiting as a reward.

Yeah, you got the idea! Mmmmm…

I’m sure I’ve tried stevia, but it didn’t make enough of an impression on me to notice. Other people have said assorted things about it, usually that it has a metallic aftertaste that can’t be disguised.

You do have a point about this.

I have also tried Marmite; I mixed it with butter and ate it on crackers, as instructed. It was okay, salty and heavy on the umami - but I really didn’t want to taste it for the next 2 or 3 days! It totally clung to my throat.

Less is more when dealing with Marmite IME. Spread it very, very thin on multigrain toast with plenty of butter as @Mangetout does in his vid on YT. I tried it with great trepidation and have to say he’s made a convert out of me.

I have a local market that sells this brand, Durian flavor might be a fun prank to play on my son. It might turn around a bite me in the ass, though.

The yeast extracts like vegemite, marmite, cenovis, etc are the food of the gods when used properly, just like fish sauce. Used wrongly, the foolish/unknowing will suffer the consequences.

My 2.5 kilogram bucket of Vegemite is almost empty, got to order another.

Grape nuts are good on ice cream, they add a nice crunch. They work nicely in yogurt too. Just eat 'em quick before they get soggy.

Ammonium salt licorice is nice too, tho many say otherwise.

Cheese that smells like people’s feet can taste wonderful.

Beets still make me gag, though.

The worst thing I ever had was scrapple. It’s meat scraps in some sort of translucent gel.

Using it a gram or two at a time, how long does a bucket last?

That sounds like some sort of aspic. Scrapple’s matrix is supposed to be cornmeal. It’s still bits of pig you’d rather not think about, though.

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are removed, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added.[3] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook’s taste.[4]

Cite.

3 or 4 years.

I’m also using marmite and cenovis too. Vegemite gets saved for cooking with (sauces, chowders, stews), while the other two I find better on things like toasted english muffins, etc. I keep some NZ marmite around (in addition to the english variety) just to be different at times.

What I remember was an Oscar-Meyer type package but it said “Scrapple.” I was young though so I might be misremembering. But whatever was in that package was nasty and surrounded in gel.

@control-z Sounds a bit like head cheese, not scrapple

Yeah, I think scrapple’s made from the bits that didn’t come off when you were making head cheese, plus some liver.

That doesn’t sound like scrapple.

My grandma made something like this. She called it souse. I was never brave enough to eat it.

Oh please do. Remember old age and treachery will always overcome youth and experience. :laughing:

Google tells me that Cenovis is basically the Swiss version of Vegemite or Marmite.

I find it tastier than the english marmite and aussie vegemite.