I blew up a Toastmasters group last night

Yikes! But I thought I heard people were using their induction cooktops as additional counterspace? :man_shrugging:

True, but you can get nice pans.

I use Dawn dishsoap and an aluminum scrubby.

I use it for all sorts of purposes. I put my cutting board on it, I store items on it. The fact that it doesn’t get hot means that I don’t have to worry about things melting or burning. Never had a problem with using it as countertop space.

Just don’t put aluminum foil near it, in case it happens to be on, that could get messy.

I don’t think this is the case, never had any sort of issue like that. It heats metal, not flesh. The glass after removing a pan that I just had boiling oil in is only uncomfortably warm. May get a minor burn if you hold it there for a while.

Let me please explain:

Which I am forbidden to clean with an aluminum scrubby as it will scratch them

[quote=“k9bfriender, post:142, topic:918672”]
I use Dawn dishsoap and an aluminum scrubby. [/quote]

I was told that water of any type will rust out the stove top. Frthermore, I’ve been told that if I’m ever caught trying to clean it this way, she’ll grab two of the chef’s knives for “game on”.

I use it for all sorts of purposes. I put my cutting board on it, I store items on it. The fact that it doesn’t get hot means that I don’t have to worry about things melting or burning. Never had a problem with using it as countertop space. [/quote]

Granted, the wooden cutting board is usually up against the wall, but I have been specifically told to Not do that.

I don’t think this is the case, never had any sort of issue like that. It heats metal, not flesh. The glass after removing a pan that I just had boiling oil in is only uncomfortably warm. May get a minor burn if you hold it there for a while. [/quote]

The burner will not be on, but the black glass holds energy/heat well. I won’t tempt fate with my hand, but hey your hands are your own.

How does “black glass” get rusty?

It’s the connections underneath which rust. The glass is a solid rectangle which cannot be removed. The edges end just about where the metal of the stove frame begins… and water drips/flows through the tiny space between the two medium.

What the fuck is even going on here?

Wait, are we taking about induction cooktops or glass flattops? I have no experience with induction models, but I’ve been using a glass-topped stove for over 14 years with no issues. It has some wear (you can definitely locate the “favorite eye”), but I’ve cleaned it much more often with wherever all-purpose cleaner is present than with Ceramabrite. My only complaint is that the little “hot” light doesn’t tell you which eye is hot; I haven’t seen this on flattops in many years though.

If they are non-stick sure. I had some disagreements with a roommate about that once. The non-stick ones are just fine.

If she’s that adamant about how it’s cleaned, then let her clean it. I did so for 17 years. Now, admittedly, my stove did eventually die, and my cleaning methods may have contributed to that, but it had a good run either way.

That’s why I have 8 chef knives at the ready in the knife block. Two can play that game. Besides, my knives are far more precious to me than a stove could ever be.

I’d be careful about what you are doing on it. I wouldn’t be tenderizing meat or otherwise banging on it, but regular 'ol chopping is good.

I’m not entirely sure that the stove is what you are truly resentful here, TBH.

It holds some heat, but not enough to burn you to the bone in seconds. Like I said, if you left your hand on it for a while, you’d probably get a minor burn.

Maybe you have a different model that was designed poorly, but I’ve never had an issue with this.

The only downside to an induction stove is that they do cost a few times that of a regular stove, and maintenance is much more expensive as well. Which is why my stove hasn’t worked for over a year, and I use a couple of plug in induction burners I got online.

My bad, we’re supposed to be talking shit about toasters, not stoves.

No - Inductioncooktopmasters!

Fair point. I wanted to get a gas burner stove (the gas line is there & just capped).
I didn’t even get a vote.

It’s like she bought a Jaguar and said, “No you’ll break it. You’re a messy driver. You can’t drive it.” I find myself much happier limiting myself to an Air-fryer & a microwave.

To be fair, you have given me a wonderful idea though, so thank you: a wooden stove cover.
Get the dimensions to match exactly, no metal nails or screws, about an inch thick, and stores easily sideways next to the stove. I’d put it on when I need counter space for staging different parts of a dish: a place for the sauce to cool while you cook the meat portion; a place for the cooking utensils (spoon, spatulas, etc) to lay while cooking something elsewhere. No, I’d never chop or cut on it… too much risk… but Oh to have all that counter space Back!

1. we dislike our glass top non-induction stove because it is slow to heat and cool and keeps only an “average” temperature at a setting as it cycles on and off repeatedly. We’re going induction
  2. it looks like the OP returned to TM and here and doubled down on the old white guy thing
  3. Bippity Boppity Boo’s original critique of ageism and ableism should be re-read in the context of that doubling down
  4. Props to OP for calling out the person with the disgusting views at TM
  5. Props to BBB for trying to expand and refine the political debate

Completely different group and participants.

My apologies for being diverted by the stove debate. I think BBB made some valid points nonetheless, and I think you did an important and needed intervention in both groups.

To BBB’s point, these were still old white guys. Including me. But my thesis was not ‘old white men are psychologically shattered’ this time, even though it’s just as true as ever. This time it was more ‘your ideas suxx’.

Fair.

Not if you’re on the receiving end!

C’mon, any mathematician will tell you that 2+2=5 for very large values of 2!

And any physicist would be happy as long as it’s within the right order of magnitude.

We 12 economists will have 12 different opinions!

There’s a button you can (or could) get that says, “If you laid all the economists of the world end-to-end, they’d be pointing in different directions.”