I blew up a Toastmasters group last night

“If all of the economists were laid end-to-end, they still wouldn’t reach a conclusion.”

• George Bernard Shaw

I would imagine so, since “eschatology” is typically used to mean the study of End Times prophecy.

Imgur

Roy Blount Jr. says that “eschatology” is the sound that bowling balls make in bowling alleys.

It’s usually related to the subject of the destination of your soul and anything about the afterlife. It is also used in the subject of apocalyptic eschatology, which relates to our collective judgement and the future of mankind.

I think that @JohnT used it correctly, and I doubt that their confusion was as to whether he was referring to collective or individual judgement.

I have a tee shirt that says that. Fun to wear around accountants.

He’s congratulating himself. ‘Challenging viewpoints’ is the role he believes he fulfills here.

I didn’t think we’d incorporate him into the Hive Mind that quickly.

False!

I addressed this and linked to the Toastmasters International FAQ in post 31. (As of right now, the matter is discussed in the second-to-last section of the FAQ) Here’s the relevant verbiage:

Members often hear “through the grapevine” that speeches concerning politics, religion, and sex are forbidden by Toastmasters International because “such controversial subjects are not appropriate.”

This is not true. Toastmasters International does not prohibit any speech topic, content, or language.

As far as I know, it’s very common for clubs to make policies regarding certain subject matter, but those decisions are made at the club level. Toastmasters International is perfectly happy to collect your money and let you use the name if you follow their rules and education program. Their actual rules, I mean.

Understood. And I was putting it as an AIUI.
It’s certainly a common club rule but I guess not held at the top level.

It’s better than being an echo.

Yeah, echos are the worst. Can you imagine being the sort of tiresome dullard who just says the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Good thing I have aloe on hand for that epic burn.

When you “assimilate” you make an “ass” out of “imi” and “late”.

Actually, it should go: “…you make an ASS out of 'IM and you make MI LATE.”

Talk about a coincibump, @CaptMurdock, I just had a completely laughable FB interaction with the guy who was selling the bird picture above.

4, 5 days ago Greg somehow comes across me on FB, I guess he remembered our interaction, and… for whatever reason, because everything I do is public… he sends me a friend invitation.

I sit on it for a few hours, pretty sure I know what’s up - it came late at night, possibly alcohol involved, but the guy wants to debate politics. He could have just tagged me, again… everything is public… but sure, this is how he wants to roll.

So, what the hell, I accept.

And, as expected, instead of asking how I was doing, how Sophia was, etc, he immediately came at me with all the grace shown before:

Imgur

What a dumb question. I’m not interested in getting in a predictable unthreaded conversation chain with this guy and his friends, one that goes like this:

“Uh, 6. Maybe 7.”
…“Why”
… … "Because (three reasons)
… … … “What? That’s dumb!”
… … … "I give him a -10 :joy: "
… … "I give him a -10! :joy: "
… “Libtard communist”
… { Out of Context Link to Breitbart }
… "I give him a -10! :joy: "

(and, yes, there were plenty of low-wattage hanger-ons of his watching, and commenting on, this discussion.)

So I decided to take his question seriously, one professional to another (Greg is a Financial Representative with, I believe, his securities licenses (Series 7, 63, etc)), and I wrote a proper response which didn’t confine itself to the original question’s constraints.

If you don’t want to read the screenshots:

Biden is still working under Trump’s budgetary authority, with Trump’s Federal Reserve chair still in place, so that by a specific macroeconomic metric I’ve been tracking for 10 years, it’s obvious that Biden hasn’t really done much on a macro scale at this date to effect large-scale economic change. Also, pent up demand following its suppression during World War COVID is part and parcel of common post-war inflationary trends in history - we saw the same thing following the Civil War, WW1, and WW2.)

Imgur
Imgur

You can tell with that last that I was warning the guy. “I like telling you where you’re wrong. I’ve done it for longer than you’ve known there was an internet. I will bring more cites, more data, more analysis. I will make you work.”

Now… we’ve been debating on the internet for decades, most of us reading these words, and we know there are five response categories Greg gets to choose from:

1. Anger and ad hominems
  2. Reasoned Debate
  3. Goalpost moving and avoidance
  4. Journeys into lala land
  5. Not responding

Guys, Greg chose option 2!

Oh, wait. Had he done that I may not be typing this.

No, he decided to go with item 3:

Imgur

To be fair, I didn’t answer with a “7”. Perhaps I should have. But screw this guy. He sends me a ‘friend’ request on Facebook expecting to sandbag another libtard about a Biden question, asks me a question, and I gave him a serious answer.

Greg has learned that instead of getting into the plastic pool where one puts a toddler to splash around, he has jumped into the goddamned Marianas Trench. And I’m calling him out on this shit:

Imgur

I write this thinking that Greg, of course, won’t accept the challenge. He’s a snowflake white male. He’s going to get offended. At something. I’m not too sure what, there were a couple of rhetorical blows in there, but if he wants to make his case against mine, go ahead.

But until then, I’m calling him out on his weak-assed response.

About a day later he comes back with, and I respond:

Imgur

(the “see more” on his post hides his closing sentence: “You should go into politics!”)

With this, I unfriend the man… like I said, my shit is public, all he had to do was tag me on the question - knowledge of how Facebook works… like the macroeconomy… is apparently not one of Greg’s skill sets.

But, I’m human guys. I can’t help myself. I can be small as well. So I leave a cryptic message on my timeline and sign off, likely not returning until tomorrow night:

Imgur

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and when you get into these political discussions, take a deep breath and Remember The Dope!

I was thinking he brought a knife to a gun fight. And you are casting pearls before swine!

I like how he started the convo literally making it a political discussion (“I assume you voted for Biden, if not, let me know”), and when I… with no trouble whatsoever… turned it into a macroeconomic response that literally gave Trump historical credit and said Biden is currently riding Trump’s coattails… he accuses me of bringing politics into the discussion!

I gave your boy a solid! What the fuck? :laughing:

(below is the chart I uploaded on my first Facebook response. It’s a measure of how Presidents grew wealth for the country during their administrations, and I’m not interested in debating it in this thread, lol :stuck_out_tongue: )

Imgur

$6,66…? Biden’s the Antichrist!

:wink:

The other president to have 666 in the amount is Nixon.

COINCIDENCE?! :astonished: