I can open/close my eustachian tubes voluntarily - is this unusual?

Evidently not everyone can do this, or else they wouldn’t make such a big deal about equalizing pressure in a plane or in elevators by chewing gum.

I can do it, and with a minimum of fuss – no funny faces required. If my nose is really clogged, though, I may require extraordinary distortions, or else to pinch my nose closed.

Dang, just missed being the first to post about this.

Yeah, I can open my left one or my right one individually. But I have to do it slowly.

All these years, though… when going up a mountain (in a car or something), I’ve regarded those other people making strange faces and complaining about their ears as a bunch of weirdos. Like, what is their problem?!

But now I know. Some people just don’t have the talent :slight_smile:

Oh, and isn’t it a natural event when swallowing? I mean, can you swallow without opening your eustachean tubes? Becaus I personally can’t do that.

I think I can open them voluntarily, without movement of the jaw…To close them, though, I have to hold my nose and keep my mouth shout and try to breathe. I do not think this is the best description.

Yes, ThunderBunny I can swallow without opening my tubes, but is must be a small amount(usually a beverage). If I must chew or open my mouth too much, then it usually opens. Also, it opens when I yawn.

I’ve been practicing it now. I can do it correctly, without moving jaw or eye muscles.

I can do it, but I flex the back of my throat, not my tongue. I can open the right one individually, but not the left.

Also, I get the crackling noise when I do it, but what is this white noise you talk about? I don’t get that. Is my hearing worse than I thought?(Listened to too many hair bands back in high school I guess)

“White noise” is the technical term for what you hear on the radio or see on the TV when you’re not on a station. It’s the same sound as the crackling that everyone’s talking about.

Self-experimenting here, I seem to be able to do something like this without moving any other facial muscles, but I have to coordinate it with my breathing, or hold my breath. At the present moment, I’m able to do it with the left ear in isolation, but not the right, but I think that this might be something that would change from day to day… Related to amount of congestion, perhaps?

When I tighten certain muscles at the back of my jaw it does it, but only on my right side. Just can’t do the left side.

I can do it easily without moving anything but the “inside back of my nose/mouth”. I learned to do it while flying. Broomstick, I thought this was the Valsalva maneuver, but I never worried about what that really meant. What is it?

And, it doesn’t work for me underwater - I guess the pressure is too much. Gotta hold my nose and equalize.

My husband and I can both do it, without any other muscle movement. He calls it “clicking his ears.” Sure is a handy thing!

I do it by semi-yawning. Or fully yawning.

Okay, this isn’t IMHO. If you can do it, but don’t know how you do it, you don’t need to post to say “me too”. If you do know how you do it (in greater detail than given above) please let us know. I just don’t want the answer to be buried somewhere on page 5 surrounded by a couple hundred me toos.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

Valsalva is basically the “hold your nose and equalize”. Hold nose, exhale upward into your nasal cavity to increase the internal air pressure and force the eustachian tubes open. Don’t do this too hard and vigorously or you could hurt yourself.

gawd, me too! and i always yawn or swallow (just “dry” swallow, not candy or anything). odd, though. i can’t do it the valsalva way, it always makes it worse. weird…

I live in Colorado so I “learned” how to do this out of necessity. I tighten the muscle in the back of the throat. As way of a description: think about swallowing, start the action(just the slight tightening of the muscles, and then stop. If I do it slowly, I can do one ear (left only). Side question: of those who can do one ear only, is there any correlation between being left handed vs. right handed?

I can do it, much like the others. Easier on my right side. But I had many earaches as a child, and I’ve always feared that it was a consequence of that–that perhaps some tiny puncture to my eardrum has remained from all of that trauma, and therefore there is an opening through which air can escape when I try to equalize pressure.

When I get sinus infrections/head colds now, and my ears clog up, I can sometimes disturbingly hear/feel a wet sucking sound in my eardrums. Blech.

Too strange, I was laying on the couch this weekend all stuffed up with allergies. It just happens to be leather butt I’m sure the same would have happened with vinyl… I swallowed and my ear stuck to the seat. It’s like it formed some suction cup and I couldn’t lift up my head. I’d try and pick it up and a big pyramid of cowhide would come up with it until I couldn’t lift it anymore. Rather than headtote the sofa I swallowed and liberated myself but I couldn’t help but think how embarassing that would have been to have happened in public, like on a plane as mentioned above.

I have a question. If you close your eustachian tubes, won’t that block out sound?
I can pop them voluntarily but I can’t keep them closed or something like that. I have noticed a couple times during waking that they would open though after being in a closed state for a while. It was rather peaceful having them closed and not hearing any noise but the act of waking up would trigger something in me that I guess says something like “all systems go” and sound would flood in. I wished I could do that voluntarily.

breaknrun? breaknrun? breaknrun?

When I do it I can feel muscles moving when I place fingers on the skin at the back of my upper jaw.