I cannot make dumplings, and am very frustrated with that fact

I was so excited to make myself some jiaozi for supper tonight, but it was an utter failure. I gained nothing, while I wasted two hours, my temper, and my confidence in my ability to cook.

Dough: so elastic that after flattening, would shrink by nearly 25%, yet so brittle that if I tried to stretch it, it would rip.

Meat: way too wet, so that even a dime-sized amount ejaculates out the sides of my rubber-band dough.

After trying to make three, I yelled at the mess, cleaned up, and made toast. I don’t think I’ve been this disappointed in a long time. :frowning:

Cooks Illustrated had a good recipe in their magazine last year. I tried it and it worked very nicely. Unfortunately, you need to pay for an online subscription to get it online. They might have put it in one of their books by now, too.

(Sorry. Not very helpful.)

How did you make your dumplings?

Are you sure it was last year? I have every issue from 2007, and I don’t see it anywhere (I’d be willing to transcribe it if I could find it, providing it didn’t violate any fair use laws).

I love these things (although I’ve always known them as potstickers), but I’ve never made any myself. The local Asian market sells them frozen in bags of 40 for about $8.00. I buy way too many of those.

Oops. Guess I lost track of time.

<toddles off to check back issues>

April 2006 - recipe for easy asian potstickers.

Speaker for the Dead, I see your location is listed as Saskatchewan so I’m wondering if you made your dumplings from scratch using Canadian flour. I used to have the same results you describe when making pies, after reading Cookwise by Shirley Corriher I learned of the importance of using the correct dough for a given recipe; Canadian all-purpose flour is very high in protein compared to all-purpose flour found elsewhere and is great for bread and pasta, not so great for pie crusts and dumplings. The proteins combine with the water to form gluten and that is what makes your dough so elastic. I don’t think you should be doubting your skills I think you should find some low-protein flour and try again.

Ah, that would explain it.

My subscription started with the July/August issue of 2006, and I couldn’t find it in any of my issues. Love the magazine, though.

Dominion / Loblaws sells an organic housebrand flour in a green sack that I have found to be more similar to US flour in some recipes. I don’t know the particulars of the protein content, but it may be one worth looking at.

Dumplings are made?

I thought they occurred naturally, like tribbles.

So, I succeeded. The problem was probably that I added too much water. My Mom, who’s a much more experienced chef than I am, helped me out. Because the dough was so sproingy, I couldn’t put too much filling in, which resulted in slightly over-doughy dumplings. I still have some filling, though, so I’m going to try again!

When you cook them, are you boiling or steaming? I get better results from steaming.

Would that be Bob Loblaw? I heard he had a law blog…

Sorry, I know I haven’t been much help here…

In the last year of his life, my frail, elderly father moved in with my husband and me. He loved old-fashioned Southern-style cooking and soul food, and I whomped up many gustatory dreams and caloric nightmares in his behalf.

Once I found a recipe that had two options: steamed dumplings or fried dumplings. I asked my dad, “What kind of dumpling do you like?” He looked a little confused, then said “I don’t know. I don’t think I’ve ever dumpled.”