I can't shave to save my life - literally it seems.

I have never been good at shaving - no mater what I do I can’t get a close shave and I can cut myself with an electric razor just about as easily as with a blade. As a result I only shave about every third day in order to keep my face from looking like a bloody mess all the time.

Just now I find myself reading the news (http://www.msnbc.com/news/869647.asp?0na=x229QK-8-) and I find out that on top of all that I’m going to die early because of it?! I just can’t win - it seems I’m either going to die from a stroke due to not shaving or blood loss from shaving. :smack:

Jeez. When I was getting my bachelor’s in Psych we learned that “Co-relation does not mean Causation”

And yet I constantly see studies in the medical field where two disparate traits are co-related and therefore you had better stop doing A to avoid getting B.

Sheesh.

It could be that a third, fourth or even fifth element can be accounting for the co-relation.

It could be that there is a societal prejudice against bearded men that makes people treat bearded men worse and cause more stress in their life. But this can change as society changes.

Crap - I read the article after I wrote the rest of this. Apparently they took some of this into account. But I hate to waste a good rant.

For instance, it could be that blue-collar workers are more likely to grow beards, and more likely to feel out of control of their lives, which has already been shown to affect hypertension, which is the leading cause of strokes.

Or it could be that men who immigrated from more religiously conservative countries are more likely to grow beards. Such men are also more likely to feel cultural dissonance, which can lead to stress, etc., etc.

If you notice the article says that men who don’t shave as often don’t have sex as frequently (fewer orgasms) and have higher stroke and angina rates. Duh. It’s the less frequent sex, not the less frequent shaving, although one may cause the other, apparently.

I’m sure that they had a third group with well groomed beards?

… and we’re sure this isn’t a leftover story from last April Fool’s Day, right?

Running the hot water and shaking the Foamy can now…

Why on earth is money being spent on stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid research!

I keep seeing on the news things like - “research shows that picking your nose a lot makes you 0.00349% more likely to hiccup on a tuesday at age 61 and three quarters”

stupefying!

That is not the relevant question. The relevant question is- where do I get some of this grant money that is obviously just lying there waiting to be picked by any idiot with a half-baked idea?!?

I agree with the “correlation isn’t causation” arguement…of course, these 7th-grade-reading-level news articles never go in depth enough to show whether causation was proved.

I’m kind of the opposite of swarthy; I only have to shave every other day. Does this mean I’m at risk? I might be missing something, but they didn’t cover that in the article.

Hell, if I shave nice and smooth with my Mach 3, I’m good for at least 3 days before it’s even noticable that I haven’t shaved…

[sub]pssst-- Go take shaving lessons from a barber in town. Or go look up people at the Shaving place

Course, if you suffer from angina there’s a good chance you’re not going to want to marry anyway.