I didn't know that song was a cover

I just finished listening to Outlandos d’Amour for the first time. How did The Police manage to cover The Offspring’s “Next To You” 20+ years before it even came out? Amazing!

Am I missing something here???:confused:

I was equally impressed when Angel City covered Great White’s “Face the Day”, six years earlier.

Even better – a band called Ph.D not only recorded a cover of Tesla’s “Little Suzi”, they went back in time and had it included in MTv’s first broadcast day.

Most people don’t know that Soft Cell didn’t write Tainted Love.

Spoon’s awesome “Don’t You Evah” is a cover. Didn’t know that.

Magazine - Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

original here:

I’m pretty sure far more people were familiar with Sly & The Family Stone’s version than Magazine’s.

Lots of people my age (teenager in the '80s) seem surprised to learn “Pictures of Matchstick Men” was done by The Status Quo 20 years before Camper Van Beethoven’s cover.

I reckon the Paragons did a pretty good version of the Blondie song

Randy and the rainbows also covered Blondies Denis quite well

The Arrows did a better version of the Joan Jett classic

I think Racey should never have copied Toni Basil

Time for someone to reference the Flight of the Conchords moment.

Yes, I’ll sound like an idiot, but . . . I guess I totally assumed Sheryl Crow wrote The First Cut Is The Deepest. Then when someone played the Ronstadt version I said, oh, yeah, clearly a Ronstadt original.

[It’s Cat Stevens]

ETA: Here’s Linda, my fave version, in part b/c if you discount (largely for the goofy clothes) she’s lookin’ pretty good here.

The point is - I wasn’t. Re: The OP

I recall a lot of people didn’t know Toni Basil’s big hit “Mickey” was a remake of a song called “Kitty.”

Also Don Johnson’s 80s hit “Heartbeat” is an old Helen Reddy song. (She really did a great job on it.)

As for me I didn’t realize that Swing Out Sister’s “Am I The Same Girl,” was a cover

It also took me a bit to figure out every other song Linda Linda Ronstadt did in the 80s was a cover. I think her only original top ten hit (in the 70s) was “How Do I Make You.” I must say no one covers a song as well as she does :slight_smile:

One of my favorite They Might Be Giants songs is New York City. I didn’t know it was a cover until I went to a TMBG concert and the opening act, a cuddlecore punk trio from Vancouver called Cub, played the song.

I was lucky to see Cub. They broke up about six months later.

Based on comments I’ve read elsewhere, Kate Bush is a time-traveling genius, covering “This Woman’s Work” in a movie 21 years before Michael Lynch covered Maxwell’s song on American Idol.

Me as a youn’n in the 90s “Who is this weird kid singing “I’ll be there”? That’s Meriah Carey’s song”

Lots of TMBG fans don’t realize that"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" was a cover.

I remember being surprised to find “Step On” by the Happy Mondays was a cover. It sounds so like them, somehow. They recorded it originally for a John Kongos tribute album but thought it came out so well, they kept it for themselves to release as a single and recorded “Tokoloshe Man” for that album instead.

When I was a kid, someone gave me a Rare Earth album, which I thought had some brilliant songwriting on it. Then I figured it out.

Luther Vandross’s 3 biggest hits(IMO) were all covers.

A House Is Not a Home - Dionne Warwick
Superstar - The Carpenters
Let Me Hold You Tight - Brenda Russell

In each case, the LV version is better than the original. One youtube commenter ranted that Karen Carpenter’s voice could kick Luther’s voice’s ass. I beg to differ.

Oh I also didn’t know Dixie Chicks’ Landslide was a cover of Fleetwood Mac.

The Carpenters’ version of “Superstar” was already a cover. The song was written by Leon Russell and Bonnie Bramlett, and first appeared as a Delaney and Bonnie B-side, and then on Joe Cocker’s Mad Dogs and Englishmen album (where it was sung by Rita Coolidge).

Thanks. Ignorance fought. I’d rank the original above the Carpenters’ version. The faster tempo in the Carpenters’ version takes away from the song.

Also the Brenda Russell song is called If Only for One Night. “Let Me Hold You Tight” is the first words in the song. A very common mistake for that song.