I don't know nuthin 'bout birthin' CDs

With apologies to Margaret Mitchell.

I’m in charge of rounding up CDs for the delivery room. Perhaps it’s a character flaw of mrs beagledave, but she wants me to do this…she trusts <giggle> my musical taste.

Anywho…any suggestions either from previous experience or own intuition? We have the requisite celtic music…some Mark Knopfler, Emmylou Harris…especially looking for classical music ideas.

I am recommending this CD to everyone I know- it’s called “Deep Peace”, composed by Bill Douglas with the Ars Nova Singers, on the Hearts of Space label. It’s mostly choral music, a couple instrumentals, and it’s beautiful. I used to play it at naptime when I worked at a preschool. He took some poems by William Blake and others and set them to music. It’s very relaxing, I listen to it when I’m falling asleep sometimes.
Another nice CD is “Dance of the Blessed Spirits: Romantic Music for Flute and Harp” on the Naxos label, with Nora Shulman and Judy Loman. The Naxos label rocks, because most of their CDs are like $5.99. How do they do it? They don’t use ‘big-name’ artists, so they don’t have to shell out the big bucks. I’ve gotten a couple CDs from them that I really enjoy.
For rousing music (maybe during the “Puuuuush!” stage), I would recommend Bach’s “Magnificat” (I have a version with Emma Kirkby doing the solos that rocks), and Vivaldi’s “Gloria”.
Ooh, I MUST tell you about “A Feather on the Breath of God”, which is music by Hildegard of Bingen. She was a 12th centurt abbess/seer/composer/writer etc, and the music she wrote is beautiful. I LOVE this CD, and having Emma Kirkby on it adds to it. IMO, she has one of the purest, most beautiful voices in classical music today.
If you’re in the mood for Early Music, Chanticleer has a CD called “Magnificat” which is very relaxing. I like just about anything that Chanticleer does.
Chopin Preludes and Noctures are good, too. If you like piano music. Another nice piece is Trois Gymnopedies by Eric Satie- it’s on “Dance of the Blessed Spirits”.
Good luck! I’m glad that you’re going to bring your little one into the world with music- I plan on doing the same thing, because music has always been a big part of my life, and I want it to be part of my children’s lives too.

Thanks Moggy…you gave me some good starting points. :slight_smile: