I DON'T want a cigarette! (Yes I do!) No I don't!! GAH!

You know, I’ve quit smoking lots of times. When I was pregnant, a few times just because; the longest I went was 6 months, I did that on the patch.

Why the hell do I keep starting back up again? It’s been a week and a half this time; I’ve read the Carr book (multiple times), I know damn good and well this is all in my head and I don’t want a cigarette, but I also know damn good and well that a cigarette right now would be freaking heavenly - but I also know it wouldn’t.

Moot point, anyway, 'cause I’m at work and don’t have any, but good gods I wish the craving would go the hell away.

Hang in there. It’s worth it. It helped me to think of each day as Quit Equity. I’ve built up 395 days of Quit Equity and I don’t want to lose it by having a puff in a weak moment.

Re-read the book.

I quit with the help of one of my best friends. It helped a little that everytime I would be around him he would tell me I stank and that he missed the smell of my shampoo and body oils. Mostly that just irritated me.

But what did help is when he told me that it was just as easy as not doing something.

See now you don’t have to make a trip to the gas station for nothing more than a pack or go out in the middle of the night or winter to get some. You don’t have to worry if you have enough in your pack to make it until you are out and about again.

People won’t take a step back when you speak to them and some may even compliment how nice your hair smells or ask if you got new perfume. Because they can now smell that and not your smoke.

And yes, things do taste differently now.

After 20 yrs of smoking I just quit. Smoked my last one right before going into a Motley Crue concert 4 years ago and haven’t touched one since.

No patch, no candy just quit.

I had a friend not even notice until she asked me for a smoke a few weeks after I quit and I had to ask her when the last time she saw me with one was.

I think for me it was better to do it without letting God and everybody know so that there felt like less pressure. I know that’s not the way to go for everyone.

My husband on the other hand was an ass about it and still in little ways can be. He would buy my brand in the first few weeks and set them down in front of me and he actually blew smoke in my face more than once.

You can do this!!! Seriously! Without choking anyone

And I wouldn’t say that I have cravings but every once in a very great while I will wonder what the appeal of it was and did they really taste that great? And then my chest gets tight and my lungs feel icky.

Good luck with this and I know I haven’t been around here as much as I used to but these folks here are an amazing source of support.

It’s a myth that smoking a cigarette relaxes you, or takes the edge off. Nicotine is a stimulant!

No, what actually makes you feel good is taking that loooooong, slow, deep drag, holding it in for a few seconds, then sloooooooowly releasing it. Do the same thing with AIR and get the exact same results.

In the beginning, if you need to, hold your fingers up to your mouth and pretend it’s a cigarette you’re dragging on, but whatever you do, deep breathe and slowly exhale.

And if you really need the hand-to-mouth substitution, carry around a bottle of water with a sport top. Water is healthy and the bottle will give you something to suck on.

Also, don’t deprive yourself of the 10 minute breaks. The need to get up, walk away from your desk (or counter or wherever you do your work), stretch your legs and refocus your mind, isn’t limited to smokers. Go take a stroll around the building a couple of times. That’s how you relax and beat the cravings.

You’re long past the physical addiction. All you really want is the same feeling that smoking gave you. You don’t need the cigarette and all those toxins for that.

Deep breathe
Take breaks
Drink water

Wishing you all the best. I’m “smober” 6 years and 7 months now. You can do it, too!

P.S. Hi, Kricket, old friend. And congratulations on your success!

Just dropped in to send you supporting thoughts! I know it is hard, but keep up the good fight!

By the way, I know you’re on a budget, so as an incentive to keep up the non-smoking, download the Smober Meter from SilkQuit. It will tell you exactly how much money you’re saving by not ingesting the cancer weeds, not to mention how much life you’re saving. Keep it up, I know you can do it!

I am right there with you Marlitharn! I have tried to quit about 8 times in the last year, and I have really decided that this time is it. It is a struggle everyday. When I get a craving, I quickly start doing something or talking to someone, or something. I know that I can’t resist that urge as well as I can distract myself from it.

Get a package of straws and cut them into thirds, walk around with them in your mouth. You can play with them, suck through them, it really helps.

Keep at it, have faith. Feel free to shoot me a message if you need support!

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. It was weird; the day before yesterday I was happily not smoking, not even thinking about it, but for some reason last night at work I desperately wanted one. Probably 'cause I’d just had a big fight with hubby and then had to come in here for a 12 hour shift. And it’s been over a week, I didn’t want to blow it.

Like I said, I’ve read the Carr book (I think this is the third time), and will probably start reading it over again in the morning when I get home from work, because while everything he says makes sense, I’m still wondering deep down how long I’m going to last this time, which is rather defeatist of me, I think. It’s not like I was even a really heavy smoker, I only went through three packs a week, but I’ve been smoking for 25 years (started when I was 10. Don’t tell my mom).

I started “experimenting” with cigarettes at 10, and my memory is fuzzy, but I know for sure I was hooked by 14. Quit with the Carr book at 25, and didn’t touch one for almost a year and a half. Then in early 2008 I went back to school and I was around a ton of smokers all the time and I slowly started falling off the wagon. I never bought a pack but I was one of those jerks who bummed them off people all the time. After a few months I just kind of thought, what the hell am I doing? This is STUPID and I know it! So I gave up again and it’s been even easier this time (and, after reading the Carr book, it was easy the first time.) I find that working out helps a lot. When you stay focused on improving your health, the thought of destroying it repulses you.

[Obi-Wan]You do not want a cigarette. You want to meditate.[/Obi-Wan]

Tell yourself you’ll have one tomorrow. Repeat tomorrow. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure the OP knows better, but just in case: do NOT do this. It would almost literally be psychological torture.

:mad: <-- at myself

I caved and bummed one last night. And I didn’t even enjoy it, it didn’t taste good, and after it was done I was like, “Well, that sucked. What did I do that for? I won’t do that again.” And then I went all day without even thinking about smoking.

But now here I am at work and it’s midnight in Hooterville; the locals rolled up the sidewalks about 3 hours ago and there’s absolutely nothing going on. I’m trying to keep busy with my knitting and the internet, but meanwhile that little nicotine monster Carr goes on about is having a raging argument with my inner Daffy Duck: “You DO want a cigarette! I don’t! You do! I don’t! You don’t! I do!” ad infinitum. (Although even if I wanted one I couldn’t get one right now anyway.)

Hey, wait a minute. I haven’t eaten in nine hours. I bet I’m just hungry! :smack:

I was able to quit nine years ago when I was in the hospital for three days and couldn’t walk. They were giving me morphine. Try drugs. :slight_smile:

You might be on to something, actually. Almost a year ago, I was taking opiates twice a day for a couple of weeks, and for whatever reason, my cigarette cravings were significantly reduced. I’d keep picking up a cigarette out of habit, but before I could light it, I’d decide I really had no desire for it and I’d put it back. I haven’t smoked a cigarette for 11 months.

I still like second hand smoke. It smells good. Sometimes I get a second hand buzz. :slight_smile:

I was just thinking about this thread today and here it is back from the dead! Gaze in awe at my necromancy…

I didn’t last long after my last post, and am now sitting here at work watching the clock, counting down until it’s time for my next smoke break. Yes, I suck. But now cigarette prices have gone up insanely (again), and I think patches are actually now cheaper, and patches worked for me once before (for 6 months, anyway - longest I’ve ever gone except when I was pregnant, and coupled with vanilla Tootsie Rolls and Twizzlers the process was pretty painless) so I’m thinking it’s time to try them again. Forty dollars a month going for cigarettes is forty dollars that could be going for sock yarn instead.

And my best friend’s father-in-law, a 3 pack a day man for years, was just diagnosed with a massive fast-growing large-cell carcinoma; basically one whole lung is trashed, it’s inoperable, and the doctor gave him two months to two years. Why the hell do we do this to ourselves?

I decided to quit cuz I ain’t paying 60 or 70 bucks for a carton. I’m using the Commit lozenges. Been almost 3 weeks and I still have most of the lozenges left.

My husband used the “I could be spending this money on…” motivation, too. He started putting his cigarette money into a container, each day. He wasn’t saving up for sock yarn, but hey, whatever will give you the strength to resist the cravings is good. He tried to quit several times over the years, and was finally successful with some nicotine patches, though I couldn’t tell you the brand name.

He says that he doesn’t get the cravings anymore, when he’s awake, but sometimes he dreams that he’s started again and he thinks, in his dream, “Oh no…Lynn’s gonna KILL me!” And he’s right.