I finally looked up "minced oath"

I would put the answer in a spoiler but. blimey, I’ve forgotten how.

Anyway, according Minced oath - Wikipedia
A minced oath, also known as a pseudo-profanity, is an expression based on a profanity which has been altered to reduce or remove the disagreeable or objectionable characteristics of the original expression; for example, “gosh” used instead of “God,” “darn” instead of “damn” and “heck” instead of “hell”. Nearly all profanities have minced variants; the words that are most taboo give rise to the most.

In case you didn’t know, “blimey” is a minced oath for “God blind me.”

I’d have assumed it was a typo for “minced oats.”

Is that what it means! I’ve always wondered. Do you have any idea what the “cor” on the front of that expression means?

ETA: Never mind, I answered my own question. It must be a minced oath for “god.”

That’s right. :slight_smile:

I should have been more specific with “Cor blimey.”

Google on minced oath and you’ll find that “cor” is a minced oath for just what you said.

The one I don’t understand is the Utah-specific “Oh my heck!”
“Heck” is used in placed og “hell”, as in “what the heck?” or “Where the heck is that?”

But if you substitute “hell” for “heck” in this expression you get “Oh my hell!”, which NOBODY says, in any context. It’s not obscene or blasphemous, it’s nonsensical. Nobody’s ever been able to tell me wh it’s used, or where it comes from.

(Knowing the context doesn’t help one DARN bit. It’s used as an expression of surprise or wonder.)

Zounds! :eek:

Gadzooks, even.

Oh, Fiddlesticks!

Frick! Friggin’!

And, of course, H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!

I like Spongebob’s:

Barnacles!
Fish Sticks!
Tartar Sauce!
:::dolphin noises:::

Damn. I thought this was going to be about a new spice I could try out in a saucy tart.

Oh well. I might as well add that “bloody” (as I understand it) is a mincing of “By Our Lady” (referring to the Queen).

I think there are quite a few born of Cockney Rhyming Slang, too, though I can’t think of any right now.

Although this is a common interpretation (but with “Our Lady” being the Virgin Mary, usually), it’s by no means certain. ashley Montague examined this expressioon in one of his books, giving a dozen or so supposed explanations for its origin, and came to the conclusion that none of them was compelling.
And "By Our Lady’ Doesn’t make much sense in the way the word is normally used, as in “bloody idiot”.

“By Our ady Idiot”??? Nahhhh.

Out of all of the English words which begin with the letter F, FUCK is the only word referred to as the “F” word, it’s the one magical word.

As a transitive verb, John FRICK-ed Shirley.
As an intransitive verb, Shirley FSCKS.
It’s meaning’s not always sexual;
it can be used as an adjective, such as
John’s doing all the FUDGING work.
As part of an adverb,
Shirley talks too FACK-ing much.
As an adverb enhancing an adjective,
Shirley is FECK-ing beautiful.
As a noun, I don’t give a FOCK.
As part of a word abso-FREAKING-lutely,
or in-FARKING-credible.
And, as almost every word in the sentence,
FRAG the FRIGGING PHUCK-ers.

With apologies to George Carlin.

Enjoy,
Steven

You are a (by Our Lady!) idiot.

I suppose the verb “to mince” in this connection is more commonly used negatively, as in “he’s not one to mince words”.

A linguistic phenomenon known as infixing, where a particle or word is placed within a word - following consistent structural patterns: you can say “abso-fucking-lutely”, but not “ab-fucking-solutely” - rather then as a prefix or suffix: if Ashley Montague is to be believed {his academic study of profanity, The Anatomy Of Swearing, is indispensable} it’s unique in the history of Indo-European languages, and is only to be found in a few Native American tongues. Un-fuckin’-believable.

You all swear like G-rated Sailors.

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Fudgesicle! You doggone sunufaguns have mucked up this thread all to heck. Situation normal, all fouled up! Jimminy Christmas!

I only know a few brits, but I have never heard one of them say blimey. Is it used anywhere anymore?

Cheese and Rice! Got Damp! Got all Muddy, on the Beach!.

Mince em finer than that. :slight_smile:

Your friends must be toffs. :slight_smile:

Jeezum Crow!

I love the Orbit commercial (you tube) where they can’t bring themselves to dirty their mouths. Excellent substitutions.