I give up.

Er…i can’t tell the difference. I pronounce them the same way - how do these people pronounce it differently? Marce?

When I dated her, she went by Agnes.

Sorry, hon. J/K. :cool:

Actually, although I will still correct the occasional person, I’ve mostly given up on correcting people on pronouncing my name as well. While it doesn’t have the same phonetic tripwires as Angelique – “Eric” being my given name, which I suppose could be spelled “Erique” if you really, really wanted to compare phonetic similarities – it is still a pretty simple name. Four letters, ends in a consonant, though it’s a consonant that approximately zero words in the English language end with. (Adoptions from French or Latin notwithstanding) Whenever I answer the phone, I have been called (in addition to my actual name) Erin, Derrick, Darren, Darryl, Dave(?), Ernie(??), Evan, and Ma’am. (Apparently, to some, I sound like a ma’am. I know I’m no Barry White, but I ain’t Mama Harper, either!) I try and correct the people that I know I’m going to deal with regularly (account-holding clients), but I’ve given up on the end users. I just go with it.

Spelling my name still drives me nuts though. It’s E-R-I-C. There is no K. Anywhere. Not in place of the C, nor after it. Neither is there an A, either preceding, in place of, or following E. Thanks.

Well, thank god we have one Eric on this board. I was beginning to worry.

D’oh!

Well, to be fair Angelique is pronounced by many people as Ann-jell-ee-kay. One of my best friends in high school (named Angelique) pronounced her name that way. She’s hispanic so I think it may be the standard pronunciation for Spanish speakers, and the name always suggested to me that it would be more common in Spanish speaking circles.

I feel for you though. My last name is simply impossible for non-French speakers to pronounce, though some of the attempts are so off base as to make me wonder if people have even the slightest grasp of basic phonics.

My weirdest one was Judy. Those of you who know mem know my name isn’t remotely close to Judy. And yet I said “Hi, this is ____.” and she said “Oh, hi, Judy…”

Well, it wasn’t recently, but it was a name battle. My given name is Elizabeth. For my entire school age career - Kindergarten through Graduate Degree - the exchange at the beginning of class went like this:
Teacher Type Person: " XXXXXXXX, Elizabeth? Oh, should we call you Beth?"
Elementary School Me: “No, it’s Liz”
TTP: disappointed “Oh.”
~~
Middle School Me: “No, it’s Liz.”
~
~
High School Me: “No, it’s Liz.”
~~
Undergrad Me: “Sure”
TTP: “Great, Beth!”
~
~
Grad Student Me: “Whatever is easiest for you”
TTP: “Super, Beth!”

So that’s how I became Beth instead of Liz. It was a war of attrition.

I have given up ever being tan, either by real or artificial means.
Working 9-5 I have no time to get sun exposure during the week (never mind the whole not good for you angle). Weekends are too busy to hang around with skin hanging out. The last few years I took the glare off my legs with artificial tans, but I don’t like the smell and feel of them. Last year I tried the gradual self-tanning moisturizers but I can still smell the dihydroxy acetone and they also felt sticky.

I am embracing my natural fishbellyness!

I will never quit insisting that people put the H on the end of my given name. Never!

Was she a reincarnated Ellis Island worker?

Doorjamb?

heheh I meant “Dorhan”

To the OP: Don’t give up. Correct people when you can, but if they’re second-language good luck. Not a single soul in my ESL class could or can pronounce my name. I just go by “Teacher!”.

Soooorry. :frowning:
There is a funny part to all o’ that though. A friend of mine is with a record label. She has gotten me some really cool autographed 8x10s (Eagles reunion fer instance).

Well, she was working with Charlie Daniels and wanted to get me a signed photo. So she asks Mr Daniels to sign a pic, “to Mark”. So, Mr Daniels says, “How does he spell it?”.

Mr friend replied (thinking Charlie is a lil slow), “M…A…R…”.

Charlie looked up with a nasty scowl, “with a ‘c’ or a ‘k’”?

When I met him two years later he still remembered the incident. :smiley:

One customer insists that my co-worker Harriet’s name is Ariel.

“Is Ariel here?”
“No…but Harriet is.”

I get asked about my name too, but only because I have an accent.

I was born and raised in Southern California and quite literally 75% of my friends are either from Mexico or their parents are. I fluently speak Spanish and regularly talk to all kinds of folks who are native Spanish speakers or however you’d describe them They all call me “An-hell-eek-uh” with a very distinct “a” sound at the end.

I once asked why not go with “An-hell-eek-eh” (like Enrique) and I was told that would be a boy’s name, the “a” makes it a girl’s name.

But I’ve noticed that most other Angeliques tend to be black (just my personal observation). I’ve never met a Hispanic Angelique, but I’ve met tons of Angelicas that were Hispanic (Angelica being the Spanish version of the name).

Are you kidding? You had me hook, line, and sinker. It was hilarious.

Interestingly, it’s the gringos that get my name wrong most often. I don’t mind one bit being called “An-hell-eek-uh” by my Mexican (I’m from So Cal, so most of my Hispanic friends are Mexican) counterparts. It’s just a different pronounciation of my proper name, so it’s fine (particularly if Spanish is their first language).

My fellow white folks though, jeez. In fact, I kid you not: a woman just called and we had this exchange:

Her: “Hi, Can I talk to ______?”
Me: “He’s not available right now. Can I take a message?”
Her: “Is this his daughter?”
Me: “Yes, ma’am.”
Her: “It’s Jennifer, right?”
Me: “No, it’s Angelique.”

I’ve worked with this woman for the better part of a year and spoken to her rather frequently lately. Jennifer?

It’s that goddamn “Q”, I’m telling you.

Well at least yours translates. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

My real name is Jill. It is not pronounced ‘Lisa,’ in any language of which I am aware. I am, however, frequently called Lisa, and have been for many, many, many years. I answer to either one now.