I got my copper mugs. Any Mule cocktails you're partial to?

Been craving a Mule cocktail lately. I’ve never made one at home.

If anybody has a recipe they’d like to share, I’d love to hear it.

Just to be pedantic, they’re more properly called “bucks.”, and the Moscow Mule is really a vodka buck.

That said, other spirits make for really tasty bucks. My favorites are rum bucks (the Gosling’s variation is called a “Dark and Stormy”) and bourbon bucks, with the following proportions:

2 oz spirits
4-6 oz ginger beer (to taste)
juice and shell of half a lime

Measure your spirits into your glass, squeeze your lime half in, throw the shell in, add the ginger beer, and add ice to the top. It takes a fairly large glass- a collins glass or a large stemless wine glass both work pretty well, as would those copper ones they sell.

I really like the Fever Tree ginger beer- one small can (5 oz) is enough for one drink. Betty Buzz and Bundaberg are also quite good.

Whiskey, definitely, and I like mine super gingery. A splash of ginger simple syrup along with the lime and (slightly less) beer is very nice.

Bourbon for sweet, rye for spicy. The ginger and lime do a lot to complement the characteristics of whatever spirit you choose. It’s a great drink!

I mixed up a Kentucky Mule, basically this recipe along with a sprig of homegrown Kentucky Colonel mint, to accompany watching the Kentucky Derby on TV* a couple years ago.

It wasn’t bad.

*previously we used to celebrate the Run For The Roses by hoisting root beers and burgers/fried food at the iconic Parkette Drive-In in Lexington, but sadly it has closed.

Moscow Mules were our vacation drink last summer .

Serve in large insulated travel mugs as we were having sundowners on the beach.

Slice up some fresh jalapeño and fresh ginger put into the mug
Pour over vodka and let sit a moment
Squeeze in lime juice
Drop in lime wedge
Add ice cubes
Add Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Top up with soda water as sweetness dictates

The older mollusc kids ( 21 ) liked it 100% ginger beer, I find it too sweet and cut back the ginger beer and top up with soda water .
These were refreshing strength so quite a bit of soda and ice to the vodka , although quite large mugs, as no one wanted to go get refills when watching the sun go down.

The dark and stormy mentioned above are good as well , again I prefer to get back on the ginger beer and top up with soda . I tend to make those a little stronger when at home.

I tried making a gin and ginger beer mix,

As a slight tangent i had a High West Lemonade when I used to live near the high west distillery and ended up making the spiced syrup and adding a bunch of ginger to it
Google high west lemonade and recipe is on the website , for the spiced syrup ( sugar water lemon concentrate cloves cinnamon nutmeg vanilla, ) I added lots of ginger when making it
For cocktail it’s the syrup plus more lemon juice and high west whiskey( well any rye will do). I will also add soda water for a longer more refreshing drink. I guess the syrup plus ginger beer would work as well as per the mule.

Glad I started this thread. I didn’t know you’re supposed to put the ice in after.

We’re long-time fans of Moscow Mules but you’ve got recipes for and familiarity with, obviously.

Last week we had MEXICAN mules which were quite nice.

2 oz Jose Cuervo gold in a tall glass full of ice
juice from half a lime
pour strong ginger beer to fill the glass (we use Blenheim pink top)

Earlier this month we happened to dine at a local steakhouse a couple of days before St. Patrick’s Day. One of their specialty cocktails that week was an Irish Mule, made with Jameson’s Irish whiskey. I don’t know the exact recipe, but it was damn tasty.

It’s been a while, but I think that’s one of the drinks they give you at the end of the Jameson distillery tour in Dublin. Very tasty indeed.

At the risk of missing something , it’s mostly about getting the jalapeño soaking the vodka to extract some zip.
I guess if you drop the ice in after the soda it can fizz up and over flow .

I have some copper mugs that I used to use for ice-water. Then I noticed that if I left a bit of water in the mug there’d be a bit of “slime”. I stopped using them after that.

Yeah. My new copper mugs are ball shaped.

Last night when I went to grab the mug for a drink, it slipped right out of my hand and onto the floor making a big mess.

I was not happy.

The drinks we’re good though.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Drinking anything out of bare copper mugs is not recommended unless you drink it pretty quick. I went to a whiskey tasting event a few years ago, a vendor was selling ceramic lined copper mugs. He had some papers from the FDA stating that drinking alcohol from copper can be hazardous to one’s health and if there is ever any black slime in a copper mug, it should be tossed. I looked at my copper mugs when I got home, no slime but a warning stamped into the bottom to consume alcoholic beverage in 15 minutes or less and to wash in hot soapy water between uses. Found something else that agrees with this. I traded my mug in for a couple that are lined with stainless steel.
Don’t Nurse That Moscow Mule — It Could Be a Health Hazard - KFF Health News

I had a Blood Orange mule at a restaurant a few weeks ago and it was splendid. Seemed like the usual vodka/ginger beer recipe with a little blood orange juice added. A touch sweeter than a typical mule but quite good.

Etymology/history, please?

Also, wtf is it with the copper mugs? Do they add to the flavor of the cocktail, or is it just so that the drinker can call anything that’s served in one a xxxxxxx Mule?

ETA: If I follow the ingredient list and construction instructions for a Moscow Mule, but drink it from, say, a wax-lined paper cup, do I still get to call it a Moscow Mule, or do I have to have to call it something else, like a “sparkling mojito?”

I think it’s the ginger beer that lets you call it a “Mule”.

The ginger beer makes a huge difference. I’m partial to Ithaca Beer CO’s version. Goya’s is quite spicy.

The style of drink (“the Buck”) precedes the Moscow Mule by quite a long time- 70 years or so.

In fact, the Moscow Mule was “invented” by three businesspeople who were having trouble selling their wares (vodka, ginger beer, and copper mugs) as a convenient way to sell all three.

The name’s just alliterative and plays off the Russian connection with the vodka. There is no actual difference. But it’s still a buck, even if that name has fallen by the wayside because of the popularity of the Moscow Mule. Kind of like a vodka martini isn’t really a martini; it’s a Kangaroo if you want to get bitchy about it.

How Well Do You Actually Know the Buck? - PUNCH (punchdrink.com)

The Origin of the Moscow Mule & Copper Mug – Moscow Copper Co.

My favorite is:
2 ounces of Koloa Spiced Rum
1 bottle of Blenheim Extra Hot Ginger Ale
Twist of Lime
over crushed ice.

And, for some reason, it really does have to be in the copper mugs.

And to further the digression about the dilution and degradation of drinking English, nowadays almost any concoction served in a cone-shaped stemmed clear glass is a something-martini or worse yet a something-tini.

No, just no. Some coffee, chocolate syrup, and creamed liqueur in a cone-glass is not a -tini. It might be a tasty lady’s drink, but it isn’t a -tini.

Now does anyone know of a drink that will get the kids off my LAWN?

Actually “off my lawn” might be a great name for a drink. I wonder if there really are any drinks of a remotely similar name? I know I’ve had some "face down on the lawn"s before, but it took a lot of them and I don’t remember what was in them. :grin: :tropical_drink: