I had an erotic dream about my roommate last night.

Hell, I’d be happy for her. She want’s nothing more than that. I think she’s about as hot to trot as a Christian girl waiting for marriage could possibly be.

That’s it, NOW we need a cite.

Catch her in prayer, those christian girls look hot when they’re all pious and dewey-eyed…

Smart man! Don’t mention it to her, and for heaven’s sake, don’t put a story about it up on the internet!

:smack:

Bullshit. This simply does not work. “Hey baby, let’s get dressed up like Little Bo Peep and Batman and have sex. If you do, I’ll give you a bottle of hand cream!”

Six times I tried that!

Wow, I’m 39 years old, and I did my first real life spit take. Seriously, tdn, Little Bo Peep is passe, Little Mermaid is HOT.

Sgt Schwartz

I guess that’s OK if you don’t mind that fishy smell.

Who said anything about pretending to be an enthusiastic participant?

I can’t claim to understand the way a recovering faith addict feels about religion, but are you so concerned about relapse that you can’t set foot inside a church as a visitor?

On the handful occasions where a particularly religious friend (or enemy) has invited me to their community’s services I’ve made it clear that I have a number of fairly not-nice things to say about religion, but that I’ll keep them to myself unless someone else specifically asks. “I’m just here as an observer with <NAME>, and I don’t want to offend anyone.” works wonders.

Your analogy is lousy, but generally, yes. I have a strong revulsion towards church, and most religious services or rituals of any kind. And as paradoxical as it may seem, I still respect the amount of regard others like my roommate have for their religion. Knowing her as I do, I would never go along with her when I didn’t really care to be there, simply to get closer to her. It would be disrespectful both to her beliefs and to the church. She deserves someone who actually cares, and I just don’t.

I think I get it. You are physically attracted to her but you don’t want to get involved with her because you aren’t really into her religion and for you that is a deal breaker, correct? Since you want different things out of a relationship, why get involved.

1010011010, I can see the issue. I don’t know that I would want to date someone who is very religious but even if it isn’t a huge issue now, it will become one as things move forward.

Having a sex dream about her isn’t surprising. You are attracted to her and you like her as a person. You just have different wants at this point in your lives. I wouldn’t tell her and I wouldn’t worry about it. Sometimes a sex dream is just a sex dream. Follow Sgt Schwartz’s advice before bed time and you won’t have the sex dreams anymore.

I ask because that has been my experience with “very religious” folk who start asking inappropriate people to come to church with them are well past beginning to doubt. Many of then never really figure out there’s such a thing as godless morality and later have their “I’m a former atheist” horror story. So, how much would it bother you if, in a few months, she has the predictable crisis of faith, rejects her religion, and does the stereotypical flirtation with amorality thing? And with someone with that much of a purity motif…

Religion can be harmful, sure. Rejection of religion by the unprepared can be worse.
“Stealth dating” quip aside, you can still be there to moderate the transition and keep her from falling into the abyss. Maybe it won’t happen, and you’ll pay the unbearable price of discussing philosophy and mythology with an intelligent woman for nothing.