I Hate Celsius

I know that sentiment about converting wholly to the Metric System runs pretty high around here. I however believe that unless something drastic happens (i.e. country has been taken control of by China) conversion won’t come to pass for a looong time.

However, I am not against the system with the STRONG exception to the Celsius temperature scale. If someone said it’s 30 degrees outside, I would not, could not think it was warm. yet 0 was still cold. I like the fact that Fahrenheit is about twice as sensitive.

Fifty degrees is NOT enough to separate summer from winter for me. I need ALL ninety of them!

If for some strange reason this contry sucessfully converted to Metric, is there any good reason to dump trusty old Fahrenheit.

I’m with you on this one, entirely!

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

Personally, I think Fahrenheit and Celsius both suck, and I’m studying to be a physicist. The absolute scale (Kelvin) isn’t much better.

Can’t we come up with a better system? Please? Someone?
– Sylence

“The problem with reality is the lack of background music.” – Anon

Well, I’ve been brought up with Celsius (or Centigrade - they can’t even agree on that!) so I can’t say I share your sentiments specifically.

But I get utterly mixed up with weight measurements. I don’t think any of the million options available are strictly metric, and it totally confoooozes me.

Everyone in America talks in Pounds all the time. I was brought up with both Stone and Kilograms. Neither of which I’m entirely certain of what they are and how it works.

I blame my poor schooling in physics, for want of something else.

“Waheeey! ‘Duck!’ Get it?”
“Errr… No…”
“Duck! Sounds almost exactly like fu-”

I feel I have to stick up for my compatriot Celsius here, as well as taking a few potshots at Fahrenheit.

I think the definitions of the two pretty much determines which is superior, so here goes:

The Celsius scale is based on water. At 0 degrees water freezes, at 100 degrees it boils. Simple.

As I understand it, the Fahrenheit scale is based on three things, 0 degrees for a 50/50 ice/salt mixture, 30 degrees for the freezing point of water, and 90 degrees for normal body temperature. Not so simple. And it doesn’t become any less complicated by the fact that they later changed it so that water freezes at 32F and normal body temperature is 98.6F.

That’s a pretty crap-ass reference system.

Fahrenheit:
0 degrees = cold
100 degrees = hot

Celsius
0 degrees = cold [but not really]
100 degrees = DEAD!

You decide!

I don’t care that a temperature scale was calibrated arbitrarily using some common chemical. It matters to me that a small number of degrees have too much of a difference of my well-being! In my mind 10 degrees should not the difference be between cool and hot.

So here is my definition for Fahrenheit (since he defined it so lousily!)

0 degrees = COLD
100 degrees = HOT

Nothing could be simpler!

O.K. that last post was a bit snide. I apologize, KentT.But I still go by my Fahrenheit. (I’m sick to trying to remember how to spell that word!)

Farenheit.

This is probably supineness and just being too lazy to switch mental gears, but I agree that Celsius just seems too broad. Other than cooking and knowing how to dress for the weather in the morning, I just don’t care a whole lot the basis for the measurement.

BTW, GuanoLad, you humble me. Every time I read British books, the pounds and stones completely throw me off. (And let’s not even get into that cooking “gas mark 8” stuff. HUH?) One stone is the cosine of a hectare…

Feeling fevered,
Veb

Here in Canada, we converted in the '70s. Why? To facilitate trade with Europe. News Flash: Our biggest trading partner was and is the U.S. Go figure. I had to spend quite a few bucks to upgrade my tools. Sockets, wrenches, Allen keys, drills, taps, mikes, verniers, etc.

Everyone I knew hated the idea. But even an old fart like me eventually got used to it. Interestingly, we never made a complete break.

Real estate is still measured in square feet, broadloom is in square yards, and we still buy 4’x8’ sheets of plywood.

If you’re hot, that’s good.
If you’re cool, that’s good.

I don’t get it.

I think the reason Canada can’t make a complete break for metric is the U.S.

Go metric! Go Celcius!

So what if Celcius degrees are bigger? It just means that one unit is more significant. Who cares about Fahrenhait… Farenight… Far’n height… whatever.

Only humans commit inhuman acts.

I’m sort of ambidegrous. I can make sense of the degrees above freezing in Celsius of Fahrenheit.But the cold temperatures only make sense in C. As a kid in the old country, when it got to -20C, you did not have to go out for recess. -30 your car did not start, unless you had it plugged in. Alaskans will know.

Being an engineer, I have used the metric system a lot. That being said, I have to whole heartedly agree with SterlingNorth in several areas besides temperature. When doing woodworking, I find centimeters/millimeters to be either too large or too small. Tire pressure gauges also don’t lend themselves to kilopascals as far as I am concerned.
When you are dealing with micrometers or calipers or lab instruments which are capable of handling small increments, these dificulties go away and the metric system is superior in some aspects.
The english system has many drawbacks, but it is well suited in many respects to the way humans interface with the everyday world.
A really good system would function properly in both areas.

Me, I rather like Celsius. My reasoning: temperature ranges fit human perception…like this:

0-10 Above freezing, but cold. Wear something warm.
10-20 Sweater weather. Fun to be outside, but not in shirtsleeves
20-30 Nice. Shirtsleeve weather. Can be a bit too warm at the top of the range.
30- Too #@%@$#@ hot!

-10 to 0 Below freezing, but relatively comfortably cold. Bundle up and you’ll be fine.
Below -10 Come up with an excuse not to go out. Any excuse will do.

Fahrenheit doesn’t have nice clearcut ranges that match round numbers like that.

Besides, when I was still in upstate New York, it was fun to hear that it was 50 in Watertown and 10 in Kingston, Ontario. :slight_smile: