I hate Florence and the Machine

You should probably list some lyrics you find more appealing for comparison, because really, I could name a multitude of memorable songs that are comprised of shitty lyric-writing meaning absolutely nothing.

For the record, I’d list “You Got the Love”, “Rabbit Hole” and “The Girl with One Eye” well ahead of “Dog Days”, though to be fair, none of my local stations play anything from the album.

I take it to mean, ‘‘Escape, leave the past behind, if not for your own sake then for those you love.’’

I interpret it the same way **olives **does. But it doesn’t sound to me like she tried to rhyme, otherwise you’d run for your father before your mother.

But I think songs can be great even with shitty lyrics. Here’s an example:

A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah

:rolleyes: And I really liked Nirvana, too. Contradictions, yeah I get it. Still dumb.

It’s not a band.

“Florence and the Machine” is what Florence Welch was known as when it was just her and her drum machine.

Now she has a band, but FATM is not a band as such- it’s just her with people she has hired to play the music.

I’ve seen her live, and it was great.

And, FWIW "“Hurricane” captures a feeling about the end of relationship and it does it very well.

Oh, and I like Adele too. Sorry.

GOD BLESS IT!! Florence and the machine is boring lame ass pretentious radio friendly garbage that is one of the reasons why music is such absolute shit these days. I signed up to these message boards just to fully support your claim that this audio fecal matter is one of the absolute most unoriginal boring awful huge music label attempts at selling music to young “hip” soccer moms and doosh bag hipsters on iTunes. I had high hopes for the future a few years back for music, but instead of becoming an interesting and eclectic mix of all the pop culture and media that has come to a head in the new millenium, we’re forced to be expected to enjoy some of the absolute worst music ever put together. If you dig Florence and the Machine you are just proving the industry correct that people will dig anything that is labeled as “deep” or “music that harks to the old fashion true singer and songwriters” blah blah blah. Lady Gaga is about the only thing that is fresh, exciting, provocative and enjoyable. I hope Florence gets ass cancer.

Nice username. I’m sure you’ll flourish here.

I would probably like F&TM a bit better if she would actually change their name to doosh bag hipsters

Doosh bag. Hahahaha! Too funny.

I don’t really have the time to analyze the lyrics in depth right now. But I suppose it would be an apt metaphore if the happiness was sudden and unexpected and even unwanted (with overtones of a destructive nature). Which kind of makes sense in the overall context of the song. “Dog days” are literally the most uncomfortibly hot and sulty days of summer. So all that taken with all the “run for your blah blah blah…” sort of implies a woman in some sort of unpleasent situation, suddenly being hit by some life altering and possibly forbidden happiness she has been avoiding. Most likely the song is about a woman having an affair of a sexual nature.

At least that’s what I take from it.
Anyhow, I can see why her music might not appeal to some. Florence + the Machine can sort of sound like Tori Amos amped up on crack.
I look foward to deep Great Debate discussions with FloMachineBLOWSDICK.:smiley:

No, I think the band sucks and maybe has one song that’s okay. I haven’t heard that song yet, but even the Smiths got it right once, so I figure this band could too.

Every time I hear them I think that someone crossed Alanis Morrisette with Beyonce and this is what they got.

For me the one song is Shake It Out. Fabulous song. Haven’t heard any others though.

I like the band.
It doesn’t insist upon itself.

I like Flo 'n Ma’s music, but find her stage image and performance style annoying and effected. The twirly arm-wavy swaying lace-gown spirit-goddess act was already eye-roll inducing when Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson were doing it.

I agree wholeheartedly with these statements. Few other artists are being flung at me with more of a “you’re supposed to find me deep and interesting” aura about them, but the songs are just as simplistic and commercialized as the rest of your top-40 pablum.

Bite your tongue! The Smiths are unassailable. (Out of curiosity, what is the one song? “How Soon is Now?”)

Anyhow, I know it’s an old thread,but I never could get into Florence & the Machine, either. That song annoyed the crap out of me. Perhaps the only other song and band to annoy me more was Foster the People and “Pumped Up Kicks.” Don’t ask me why. I don’t know. But that song makes me want to stab something.

I have to agree on all points. Also with the person upthread who said Florence looks much older than her age, which I think is due to her horrific fashion sense, which someone else said they like.

When I opened this thread I didn’t realize it was old and that I had in fact posted to it when it was new. After reading it, I was already mentally composing my reply when I came upon my original answer, which was word for word what I was going to say again; particularly my disagreement of who the OP considers good. Some things never change, exceept maybe the varying of individual mileage.

Aye, that’s it. Love the guitar work, and Morrisey’s whinging finally fits the music just right. If the band had only released that one song and then called it quits, I’d be hailing them as geniuses today.

I am still curious as to which Regina Spektor song includes her screaming.

I like Florence and the Machine.

My favorite by them is Seven Devils

Although, I might be biased in favor of that song because it reminds me of Game of Thrones.

I hate them too. Her voice … it hurts. I couldn’t get into a discussion about the lyrics or the band as I have to leave when she starts honking like a lost goose.
MiM