I hate, loathe, detest, abhor and passionately despise air conditioning!!!!!

I’m far more cold tolerant then I am hot. Hell, I once wore shorts on a snowy day, but I start to feel very uncomfortable once it gets over 80-85.

In my house, AC is needed in some rooms. The basement and first floor are comfortable enough with ceiling fans and open windows/doors, but the top of the house catches the sun 90% of time it’s up, and without AC on the 2nd floor, the rooms there become unlivable (minumum 10 degrees hotter, with little air flow, then the rest of the house) On hot days it becomes an oven, literally.

We had the power go off for a day or so and had to abandon the 2nd floor for that day and night. Even at night it was far too hot to sleep up there, while the 1st floor was quite comfortable.

Basically, AC kicks total ass.

Oh, and I love cold, or at least cool weather. If it stayed in the 70’s-high 60’s all year I’d never complain. However, I rarely say “It’s too cold”(down in the 30’s or below), but am very likely to say “it’s too hot”.

Small side note: ceiling fans running in rooms with no people in them make your house hotter, not cooler. Ceiling fans don’t cool down the air, they make you feel cooler by increasing airflow across your body. If there’s nobody in the room, turn off the fan.

I’m from Sacramento, so I understand the use of air conditioning well.

But an air conditioner is to make the temperature in the room more bearable- to take the edge off- not to sculpt the air into a completely different climate. I hate that in summer I have to carry a giant backpack full of extra clothes everywhere I go. Since I have to venture out into the un-airconditioned world to walk or catch the bus, just warm clothes out isn’t an option. So I have to carry a sweater, a pair of pants, and most likely a thermal shirt just to deal with the temperature changes from bus to work to restraunts to home.

If we kept the world at around the temperature it is outside, we could all dress for the occasion, instead of having to prepare for am equator-to-north-pole journey every time we go outside. My guess is that the cold-grubbers never have to venture outside their cars and garages, so they can just pretend like it is winter all the time. Fat lot of good that does me.

And what is with the freezing houses? Don’t you guys want to be able to be naked, or at least in shirt sleeves, in your homes? Nothing sucks more than curling up with a good book and a cup of tea- in your heavy jacket and sweatpants. My boyfriend will put on his heaviest clothes, and then drive around with all the windows open for no discernable reason. I don’t understand. Do your limbs not cry out to be free? To feel fresh air? To move without tons of fabric obstructing them? Don’t you know you are supposed to remove your heavy clothes when you enter a house and walk around in cooler, more comfortable clothes you conveinently wore underneath?

Then again, I’m the world’s least fit woman of Scandanavian decent. I was clearly meant to be born in the tropics.

I can’t stand the cold. At around seventy I get goosebumps. Not little goosebumps, but hard painful ones that cover my who body, from ankles and wrists to pubic hair. Then I get this terrible jawache. If it is in any way windy, the jawache extends to the ears and hurts like the worst thing possible for a good hour or two after I warm up. Then my fingers and toes start turning blue and my teeth chatter. In the winter I can hardly bring myself to get out of bed. If it is cold when I wake up, I won’t wake up and I’ll miss work. I get lethargic to the point of complete inactivity (except for my shivering).

So yeah, us heat-seekers get uncomfortable when were in the wrong temperatures, too. I hate when cold folks swear that their heat-related ailments are the only ones that are important. As if blue fingernails wern’t something to get alarmed at. Let’s just have some parity here. I’ll admit that your discomfort is important if you admit that mine is, too. Okay?

Preach it, freon brotha!

I live and grew up in the South. You can have my air conditioning when you pry it from my cold, climate controlled hands.

I can understand the sentiment in the OP coming from someone living in the mountains. And if you are somewhere where 80-90F is considered “hot”, then you may even have a point.

On a side note, I’ve also noticed over the years that people who grow up in particularly cold climates seem to relish the heat.

I’m in Dallas, Texas. Anyone who “enjoys” this kind of heat is mentally unbalanced. A few years back we had a summer where it was above 100F for 67 straight days. I noticed an earlier poster lived here for a year and after working in a chilly environment during the day claimed to like the heat after hours. Hmmm, perhaps … did you grow up in a very cold environment, by chance? Myself, although I work in an airconditioned office environment, I am frequently outside 10-12 hours a week cycling, and let me tell, it gets HOT! It’s not at all the same heat as the person stepping out of that chilly office feels, it is freaking HOT. It’s a dangerous hot. People DIE in this kind of heat.

Thank god for air conditioning!!

Humidity is even worse than heat. Tropical storm Bill knocked out power out, and within a few hours of it going the house was already getting stuffy. Opening the windows admitted coolish but HUMID AS HELL air. Fortunately, the power company got their asses in gear and we got back power about 10:30 the next morning. I’d have hated to go several days without power, as the parental units did last year. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen.

And for hot and humid lovers in this thread, I do not understand you any more than you understand us meat locker people. But if I’m in your car, I WILL ask you to turn the air on. Hate me for that if you want!

But I DON’T WANT TO PUT A SWEATER ON. One month out of twelve I would like to be comfortable, thank you. I would like not to have to worry about this cold-induced rash I get, which looks ugly and itches. If it’s 68 degrees in the office my hands will start turning purple. Am I supposed to wear gloves? The irony being that the temp in the office is all right the rest of the year.

I cannot buy a stylish sleeveless dress because however nice it looks on me in the store, it will not look that nice with a sweater.

I would like for my coworkers not to ask me if I’m not overheating in my sweater. “Gee–are you cold?” (No, idiot, I’m just too fucking stupid to take my sweater off–geez.) I can handle the fact that they’re calling me things like “orchid” and “hothouse flower” but the fact is that sweaters or no, I can’t really work efficiently when I’m shivering, and it’s really quite impractical to wear long underwear under my silk trousers in July, on account of the commute.

It’s alright dear, don’t make a fuss, I’ll have your air conditioning, I love it. In fact, I’m going to have HVAC, HVAC, HVAC, HVAC, HVAC, HVAC, HVAC, HVAC, baked beans and HVAC…

No, really. Here in NW Oregon, where the webfoot people live, it’s due to be close to 100 freakin’ degrees Monday and Tuesday. I’m thinking that a really, really long work day followed immediately by a nice double feature at the local cineplex will be nice - anyting that places me back in my hot, non-air conditioned 1914 bungalow no earlier than midnight!

I keep telling myself that buying an air conditioner for the bedroom would be dumb, considering that I’ll only use it 8 or ten days a summer. Let’s see - this year, I’m at about 15 hot nights and counting…

So, while I feel your pain about the cool, wet, nasty summer, right at this moment, I’ll trade!

I’m not happy unless the beer is slushy and the previous sweat on smee balls has turned to frost. Hell is hot=hot bad.

No pleasure
No rapture
No exquisite sin greater…

…than Central Air!

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Ponder Stibbons *
I’m in Dallas, Texas. Anyone who “enjoys” this kind of heat is mentally unbalanced. A few years back we had a summer where it was above 100F for 67 straight days. Myself, although I work in an airconditioned office environment, I am frequently outside 10-12 hours a week cycling, and let me tell, it gets HOT! It’s not at all the same heat as the person stepping out of that chilly office feels, it is freaking HOT. It’s a dangerous hot. People DIE in this kind of heat.

[QUOTE]

Damn straight, Ponder. Look, all y’all who are posting AC hate mail from New York or California or New England need to come south of the Mason-Dixon Line for a summer or two. Then you would realize what a blessing AC is. As for you anti-ACers in
the South… I can’t understand y’all at all. Did you know that until this century - effectively, until the invention of AC - the British government rated Washington D.C. a hardship post for its diplomats? We NEED airconditioning down here.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to give my wall unit a hug.

These Yankees with their “winter” and their “cool weather” just don’t understand us. Hey slow, you coming to the GA Dopefest we’re having in August?

I’m shocked and appalled. I will trade with anybody who thinks their climate is too cold (except maybe Alaska…).
I just spent the weekend in San Diego, and never have I less wanted to come back to Phoenix than yesterday. It was torture stepping out of the car the first time once we got over the coast ranges.
The 10-day forecast for Phoenix can be found here: http://www.weather.com/weather/local/85282?lswe=85282&lwsa=WeatherLocalUndeclared. And before anybody uses the old, worn out cliche about the “dry heat”, keep in mind that it is supposed to storm today (107 degrees) as well as friday and saturday (106 degrees). And on only two of those ten days will the low dip below 80 degrees.

So take my heat, please.