I Have A Big Ol' (Pork) Butt- What To Do?

I agree with this. I doubt a 6-pound butt is going to take 12 hours. I do 10 pound butts in about 7-9 hours @ 250.

As for the internal temperature, a few notes. It depends on what you want. If you want it sliceable, you’re looking at around 185 or so. If you want it soft, but not quite shredded, (for chopped pork), you’re looking at around 190 or so. For “pulled” pork, that is shredded and soft, you’re probably going to want to be at around 195-200 or so. 197 is what I advise, but there’s no rule to it. You can tell when the pork is pullable by visual cues: the meat slumps in on itself, the bone pulls away freely, and a fork inserted into it twists with little to no resistance. Sometimes that happens at 193, sometimes it happens at 200. Every cut of pork is a little bit different. Just test it. There’s no magic 100% certain target temperature to cook it to. Use and trust your senses. This is not mystical “Jedi barbecue” mumbo jumbo. Each cut of meat really does cook up slightly differently.

Now I’m hungry for Jedi barbecue. :smiley:

If you weren’t 8 hours away, you’d be welcome to some of our wood. We’re unable to smoke right now because the water pan rusted through.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post.

Did you make the scallion ginger sauce? I make that stuff by the quart and it still disappears within a week!

I did! My husband loved both sauces, and he never wants any kind of sauce. Claims he’s not a “sauce” guy. :dubious: Whatevs, he gobbled up the first serving and went back 3 times last night for more. We ate all of the lettuce last night, so today we made Korean burritos with leftovers. I didn’t use oysters or kimchi, as I don’t like either, but hubby said this recipe was a keeper. My favorite part was the crust!

Since you dont like oysters let me clue you in. Oyster sauce tastes nothing like oysters and everything like awesome. Always buy the Lee Kum Kee expensive version with the fancy label, it makes a big difference. I get a little twitchy once the bottle gets to less than 1/3 full.

I use it mire than the little old lady used Franks Red Hot.

Okay, so this time I have an 8-pound butt, and I’m going to make that momofuku pork with it tomorrow.

As for the ginger-scallion sauce, I have everything needed for it, except for sherry vinegar. But I have cooking sherry, and I have white, balsamic, and apple cider vinegars. Help?

Well, don’t need answer fast, since now I can’t make it until the day after tomorrow. I went to put the salt and sugar on it, and upon opening the plastic, discovered that it smelled rotten. And this is the second time in as many weeks that I have brought home spoiled pork from the same store. Those bastards!

But still need an answer for Wednesday.

I like everything about this thread, and I cannot lie.

This topic was addressed by Cow and Chicken.

I saw your next post, but I’d say mix sherry with either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar. Probably 1/3d sherry to 2/3ds vinegar.

Thanks.

Did you get another butt? What did you do to it? Inquiring Dopers want to know!

I just use white vinegar.

I took the one back (and got double my money back, woot!) but I didn’t want to buy another one at the same store- may never buy meat there again- and I’m going to stop by another store shortly to pick up another big butt. Then tomorrow, momofuku!

Hmm…Double the money back for meat means you were probably at

Ralph’s / Kroeger’s

I bought some bad meat from them too (First time in 15+ years), and they refunded the money cheerfully and apologetically. I continued to buy meat from them until I discovered this Asian market around the corner that has incredible deals on beef ($6 per pound for filet mignon), and Stater Brothers.

Anyway, I am waiting to hear the results!

Nope, it was Bi-Lo, a Southern chain. Pretty awesome policy, considering my butt was 20 bucks. I took it to the customer service desk up front, where the girl was very nice and cheerful. She told me that they’d been having problems with the beef, too, and that I should stop by the meat dept and tell them about the pork so that they can figure out what’s going wrong. I did that, and the guy I spoke to didn’t say a fucking word to me and after I finished talking, he just walked away. So I’m getting ready to send an email to corporate regarding a blatant lack of customer service skills in the meat dept and I won’t be buying meat there again. [/rant]

On the plus side, a new, non-spoiled Ingles’ pork butt is in the oven right now, momofuku-ing away!

Okay, done and eaten. Not the whole thing- that will take several days.

It was very good momofuku-style. I had it wrapped in lettuce. The crisp, cool lettuce, the sweet and salty pork, with the scallion-ginger sauce… it was kind of amazing, actually. Thanks, MikeG, for that.

This past weekend I made 2 six pound butts following the instructions here using cherry on my Weber Smokey Mountain Grill.

And used this as the sauce…

It was heavenly… the only snag was that after 14 hours the butt wasn’t quite done so I foiled it and put it in the oven at 350 for another hour.

Waiting till 9:30 pm for dinner wasn’t a big issue since I had put 3 racks of baby backs on for lunch :slight_smile: If you like ribs… hell, steak, potatoes or all good food in general www.amazingribs.com is a fantastic site.