I have a dollar bill from 1935! (long)

This weekend I had to get some groceries for my mom, but she didn’t want to come with me to pay for it, so I had to go hunting for some cash. So I went to the found money jar, a massive glass affair that’s filled with spare change that my family has picked up over the years. It’s a weird tradition. Anyway, I had seen a $20 mashed up against the side of the glass, so I went and fished that out. Then I noticed a rolled-up bunch of paper on the opposite side of the jar, so I got that out as well.
The paper turned out to be checks from the 70s that my grandmother never cashed, and which my dad kept for whatever reason. Stuffed within the roll was a wad of cash (mostly ones) that I appropriated. Hey, I’m poor.

Grr, that wasnt’ supposed to happen.

Anyway, I was looking through the mostly ones, and one caught my attention. The back is printed a much more intense green, and the front is different as well. The serial numbers are blue, not green. On the top it says “SILVER CERTIFICATE” instead of “FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE”. The bottom, below “ONE DOLLAR” it says “IN SILVER PAYABLE TO THE BEARER ON DEMAND”. The little embellishments are different, and it’s lacking the seal on the left–instead it has “This certificate is legal tender for all debts public and private”. Interestingly enough, the back is the same design as a modern dollar.

Pretty cool.

You might want to check this out:
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/1935-US-1D-One-Dollar-Silver-Certificate-Hawaii-Error_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ52620QQitemZ6604536349

Eh, mine is in really crappy shape. It’s got a hole rusted right in the middle, so I doubt it’s worth all that much.

Some years ago as a teen, my father gave me a twenty to go pick up pizza for dinner. It turned out to be a 1935 (or thereabouts) bill. As you say, the colors are pretty vibrantly different than recent bills – to the point that the guy behind the counter almost wouldn’t accept it for fear it was counterfeit!

When I was a kid and my Grandfather was in his 80’s, one of my joys and jobs with him whenever I went to their apartment was to count his change. ( And read the obits to him. Which sent me down the path to Dead Pool, thanks Grandpa!)

One time I found a silver dime from like 1910.

I still have it.

It also started my little coin collection and habit of checking my change for old coins. It just thrills me to find something that has been in circulation for decades.

Makes me wish I could be one of those people with psi powers* and see where it has been.

*Like bending minds with my spoon.

I used to work in a little convenience store in the middle of nowhere. I used to check the register drawer every evening, and buy out the old currency. For a period of about a month, there was a glut of it-- old silver certificates, old coins. Young people were bringing them on to buy pop and cigarettes. Once, I told the young man who was buying snack foods that the money was probably worth something because of its age and condition, but he just shrugged.

Later, I heard that an old man’s house had been robbed and his money collection had been stolen. The dipshit theives were using it at face value all over the county.

We have a dollar bill from 1957. I have no idea where it came from.

I used to work in a convenience store, too. While we never heard about anybody’s money collection being stolen and used at cash value, we got quite a few silver certificates and silver coins, usually from people who were buying booze and/or cigarettes. They knew that the money was worth more than face value, but they NEEDED their booze or cigs.

As it happened, my husband raided MY stash of silver coins once for some cigarettes. So the cycle is unbroken.

At a garage sale, I once overheard a conversation in which one woman (I’ll calll her Beth) was talking about her experience working the drive-through window at a fast-food place. A customer paid for her own family’s meal by handing Beth a bunch of coins that were “all about a hundred years old”. Beth pointed out that the quarters and half-dollars were worth far above face value, but the customer explained by saying “I’m so pissed off at my husband that I’m using his precious collection to get back at him for all the shit he’s been pulling.” So Beth took enough money from her purse to pay for the burgers and fries, placed the common bills in the register, pocketed the silver coins, took them to a numismatist’s shop, and was spending the proceeds as she made her way through the local garage-sale circuit.

About twenty years ago, I was a vendor at Cleveland Stadium, and often bought rolls of coins to give as change. At different times, I got a 1930’s Buffalo Nickel and a Liberty Head Dime among their everyday counterparts, and I still own both of these vintage pieces of money.

While working as a cashier in a gorcery store, I had an old lady buy her stuff with some 1920’s era silver dollars. “They’re too heavy,” she said. I only had enough cash to buy 3 of them.

Many years later they were stolen from me.

My husband is a collector and seller on e-bay. He has some cool stuff!

Indian lady at the 7-11 just a few weeks ago started to take back a dime she had dropped in my hand. “Oh, that one is Canadian, I’m sorry. I will get you a good one.”

Me: “I’ll keep it, it’s not Canadian. It’s just an older style of American coin.”

Her: “Isn’t that the Queen?”

Me: “No, that is Nike, or, as some say Mercury. But it is American. See, on the back, it says United States of America. One Dime. That dime is older than you are. In fact, it’s even older than I am.”

I convinced the lady that she should always look over odd looking coins, and she would eventually find some that were worth more than the value as a coin. She seemed quite skeptical. Just yesterday she showed me her two wheat pennies, and flying eagle quarter! I suspect someone in our neighborhood has been dipping into the coin bucket too!

Now my 7-11 clerk has a new hobby, and I have a very nice Mercury Dime, from 1942.

Tris

I also did a stint as a convenience store clerk and have seen my share of silver coins and silver certificates. I got a $10, a $5 and a couple of $1’s that way. As I recall, too, one guy bought a couple packs of cigarettes using all silver coins, most being dimes.

Interesting times.

Of course, with inflation that 1935 dollar is only worth about 15 cents. That’s why I insist on brand new dollar bills. :wink:

I once got a 1934 $10 bill out of an ATM machine. It was a plain Federal Reserve Note, not a silver certificate or anything, and was too worn for me to imagine it was worth more than $10, so I took it to the supermarket.

When I handed it over the clerk asked me one of the most inane questions I have ever personally been asked: “Is this counterfeit?” OK, it wasn’t the question, it was asking ME that was inane. I still wonder what would have happened if I’d said Yes.

Another clerk had to convince the first clerk that the bill was still valid even though it didn’t say “In God We Trust”.

I love finding old money. It’s never worth anything, but it looks so cool, and it’s fun to speculate on whose hands it might have passed through. I found a $10 bill from 1935 in my wallet today (there’s a price guide here if you want to check your dollar bill) and while it’s not worth more than $10, just think, maybe Harry Truman used it to buy underwear once, or maybe it’s the same $10 bill my grandfather used to buy my grandmother a wedding ring, or maybe my husband bought his first six pack of beer with it when I was still toddling around in diapers. Oh, if these bills could only talk…

My guess would be one of the US Mints. I’ll be here all week.

In related news, I’ve recieved several silver quarters in the past few weeks. They make a much more satisfying ring when you flip them.

Hey, talk about timing. My hubby got a coin last week - just about the size of a dime and silver. It’s actually a German 1/2 Mark.

Dated 1906!

Beat that!

::::::Throws a tomato at sinjin:::::::::::::::::

As a teenager I worked at an amusement park doling out quarters for bills at all the coin operated games. Skeeball, the arcades, remote control cars, batting cages and the like. I would go through a couple of hundred dollars in quarters a shift.

Over two summers I probably got around three dozen 1964 or older silver quarters.

A while back a supervisor was putting money in the pop machine and I yelled stop! I heard an odd ring in the change in his hand and he gave me the silver quarter for a new one. He didn’t care.

I like I’m not the only one who notices these things.