I have a headache this big...

Speaking as a chorinc migraine sufferer who’s more or less got 'em beat, let me throw in my two cents. Lying down in a dark room is fine, but if you’re at that stage you’re already out of commission. You must find the cause of the headache.

1. DIETARY TRIGGERS are the most common cause of chronic migraine. In addition to wine and cheeses, look out for
  • Peanuts and Peanut Butter, or other nuts. Very common triggers.
  • Caffeine.
  • Chocolate.
  • Foods high in nitrates, such as sandwich meat.
  • Foods heavy in MSG.
  • Dairy products of any type.
  • Bananas.

Keep a close eye on what you eat, even keeping a diary, and look for patterns. Once you’re consciously looking for triggers it becomes easy to spot them.

1. SLEEP PATTERNS can affect migraine. Not to dump on your lifestyle, but if you’re going to bed at 4 AM, you may be causing some of it right there. Many people also find that sleeping late causes migraine. Try to work yourself towards a more traditional sleep pattern if your job allows it and you may be shocked at how much it helps.

2. ALCOHOL is a common cause.

3. Your EYES can cause a lot of migraine, especially those horrible ones that actually hurt inside your eyeballs. Man, I hate those. Keep your home well lit, get your eyes checked, and cut down on your computer and TV watching.

4. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. For God’s sake, get your blood pressure checked right away. I’m serious; it’s a very big deal. Headaches are often a symptom of high blood pressure, which has a lot of health drawbacks, and you should be concerned. Get a doctor to check you out. If you do have high blood pressure you may find that treatment of that problem will help your headaches.

5. THE BOSTON RED SOX. Red Sox fans get a lot of migraine. They deserve it, though.

A few tips for survival:

1. Do not try to last through a migraine without taking painkillers. The key to staving off a bad one is to treat it immediately. The moment you feel one coming on, pop your best painkillers and take a few minutes to get away from straining your eyes. If you delay treating the migraine, you won’t be able to stop it. IMMEDIATE treatment is absolutely imperative. Do not wait even five minutes! Attack it at once.

2. Reduce eyestrain.

3. See a doctor about your blood pressure.

4. Keep a food diary.

5. Exercise more. Yeah, it’s cliche, but a little activity seems to help a lot of migraine sufferers.

6. Make sure your diet is balanced (your vitamin idea is good) and that you get lots of fresh air. Staying inside does not help.

7. Don’t sleep in. There’s a very strong correlation between sleeping in and getting headaches. Get up early and take a nap in the afternoon if you’re tired or your head hurts again.

Hope this helps! Most migraine can be reduced if you approach it the right way. I was in awful shape for YEARS, missed two whole years of school, but once I convinced the doctor to help me, we solved it.

I called the doctor today and got an appointment for next week to talk about my headaches.

You may pat me on the head and tell me I’m a good girl now.