I have lost faith in humanity.

Yahoo! Answers has caused me to lose all faith in the ability of mankind to progress. I am amazed that our country, founded on the ideals of equality, self-representation, and the ability of people to govern themselves. Frankly, I am amazed that the majority of people out there are able to feed themselves.
Specifically, this struck me as the epitome of what is wrong with America. The question was basically a “taxes suck LOL”, but I tried to give him a succinct, reasoned answer as to why his conceptions were false. But no! The post after mine: “ur right, totally, LOL, i hate taxes”. I… fuck it… just fuck it…

That second sentence should read “I am amazed that our country, founded on the ideals of equality, self-representation, and the ability of people to govern themselves, has lasted this long.” :smack:

Your first mistake was answering general questions posed by the general Yahoo audience… but then, you’re a braver soul than I…

To quote Mangetout on page 2 of this thread,

I have very little experience with Yahoo Answers myself, but it seems like a pretty accurate description. Glancing through the Science and Mathematics section, I found such stunning moments of brilliance as:
[ul]“how do i build my own space ship on a budget of £100?”[/ul][ul]“In which direction does the sun set in your neighborhood?”[/ul][ul]“Has the Opal joke been overdone?”[/ul]
I think I’ll be sticking to the SDMB thank you.

I can totally see what you mean. You’re the guy with the new political party idea, right?

Yahoo Answers caused you to lose all faith in humanity? No problem! That’s why you’re here.

SDMB will bring you back.

Huh?

Perhaps the closest thing we’ll ever have to world peace.

Oddly reminiscent of TheFonz, no?

Haven’t you learned to pick your boards carefully?

Most are so rampant with uncontrolled individuals as to be useless. I stopped helping people on computer boards, because nobody could control themselves. Some are attacking the user’s mental skills, while other’s fight about the brands of components. None of them answer the question. I’m glad this board has held to stricter standards than many.

Yeah, I know, I should have known better, but I was feeling unduly adventurous one day at work. But Jesus Fucking Christ, are people that stupid?

The answer is a resounding Yes.