I Have the Hots for Peter Dinklage! (he's a little person...I'm not)

Yup. It’s the voice for me - it soothes me just to hear him speak.

Random tidbit: I saw Dinklage in the flesh a couple of years ago at the Toronto International Film Fest, where he did a Q&A after a lovely little rom-com fable called Penelope. He’s as charismatic in person as he is on-screen, which is more than I can say for a whole lot of actors I’ve seen in said Q&As (Christina Ricci, who was standing next to him, was utterly forgettable).

I would definitely hit Meredith Eaton. Wow.

[aside] Anyone else feel odd calling them “Little People”? I know that is the preferred vernacular these days…It just seems to be a bit off.[/aside]

Peter Dinklage is married to a woman named Erica Schmidt. She does not seem to be concerned about the height difference.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/partypictures/2006/08_25_06/images/shakespeare/1ESchmidtPDinklage_082106.jpg

[hijack]

That hasn’t been released to the theaters yet, and it’s interesting that you saw it so long ago. I think it’s supposed to finally be released in February. Nice to know that you liked it. Sometimes when movies are held back, and then dumped, it’s because they’re stinkers. This one just looks hard to market.

I’d read Dinklage refused to take roles that call for a dwarvish person, but apparently not.

I first saw (or at least noticed) Dinklage in the awful movie ‘Tiptoes’. His character was a skeeze, and his accent was, to my ears, terrible, but I thought he was really hot.

Then, a couple of years later, I saw ‘The Station Agent’ (fantastic movie, BTW) and developed a serious crush. And I’ve still got it. He’s got a voice that makes me go all gooey inside, and his eyes are just gorgeous.
He’s firmly atop (heh heh) my Celebrity Freebies list, and I imagine he’ll be there for a good long time.

Yeah, I know…I left out the word “character” somewhere there. I was a bit tipsy when I posted that. Let me say that I think his character has a point.

Spit, this is getting off-topic for Cafe Society, but I will say that I don’t like the term either, having heard too many people use it to describe their small children. Actually, I’m not comfortable with any of the usual terms. It is certainly a few steps up from “midget,” though. Note that for a lot of us the impact of that one is about equal to “nigger” for a black person.

I’m beginning to think I should do an “Ask the Dwarf” thread. There’s a lot of ignorance out there to be dispelled – not in this thread so much, but on the board in general.

He’s still hot, though.

My late Uncle Mike was a dwarf, 4’ 6". I don’t remember anybody using the term “little person” back then (1960s and early '70s); I certainly never thought of “dwarf” as insulting.

Now, my redheaded little sister and “carrot-top”, that’s a different story. She hates that term.

It’s a really funny scene in Living in Oblivion when Dinklage’s character is complaining about the cliche of throwing a dwarf into a dream sequence to make it seem all weird and meaninful. “Who has dreams like that? Do you have dreams about dwarves? I don’t even have dreams about dwarves!”

I used to think he was hot until he played on Nip/Tuck. That character was so repulsive that it colored my perception of Dinklage as a person and/or sex object (is thre a difference?).

I’m not sure if I understand? How was that character repulsive? If I remember correctly that character was about the only sympathetic person of true moral fiber that has ever appeared on Nip/Tuck. He was the only flesh and blood that was ever in their plastic world, IMHO.

Ah! Please do! Can’t say I would have a immediate question for you, but I would like to see what would come up. I bet there would be lots of questions.

I’d probably just ask something dumb like, “Can you get me Peter Dinklage’s phone number?”

:smiley:

I caught a movie on TV around Thanksgiving called The Baxter, in which he played a gay wedding planner. He wasn’t in the show much, but when he was, he stole every scene.

The only thing I’ve seen him in is Elf, where he looked nice enough. His IMDB pic sure is unflattering. Not really my type, he’s so scruffy looking that he’s on the edge of dirty.

I wouldn’t rate it as one of Dinklage’s best (that honour goes to Station Agent, IMO), but it’s a cute little bon-bon. I’m reminded of *Pushing Daisies * in both the modern-day fairytale style and the colourful retro-ish production design - if you dislike the show, the movie probably won’t tickle you either.

I have to admit that I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell was keeping this movie from a full mainstream release, but I guess they were biding their time to see if quirky and sweet would become marketable again.

[/hijack] :slight_smile:

Much better photo

That is a more flattering shot, but he still looks dirty to me. If he cut his hair and shaved I might be more attracted. His coloring + too much hair = scruffy.

This is how I remember it, and let me just say that I could easily be remembering it wrong. Dinklage plays a character who is an actor. His role in the movie within a movie is not labeled “dwarf.” He’s just a character who comes in and does a funny dance, or something like that. He then gets upset and questions why his character has to be a dwarf, to the bafflement of Steve Buscemi, who plays the director. The script doesn’t *call *for a dwarf. The only reason the character is a dwarf is that he is being played by a dwarf.

This. I loved The Station Agent for the slow pace and character-driven narrative style typical of indie films. I lent it to my dad, who liked it for the railroad theme. Something for everyone, I guess.

Can’t say I understand the sexual attraction angle, but I’m not gay. Then again, I’ve never been attracted to a female dwarf, either.

Off topic, I guess, but I don’t get this at all, and I’d bet that 99% of the population doesn’t, either, so it’s hard to understand how it could be as offensive as a word that everyone who uses seriously means in a hateful way.

Just hearing the three terms (dwarf, midget, little person) without ever having known a person of very short stature, “midget” seems the least offensive to my ears. “Dwarf” I associate with Snow White, and “little person” just sounded really bad from the get-go. I wouldn’t be surprised if in twenty years it becomes another once-accepted-now-offensive word like “negro.”

At any rate, I’d be quite interested in an “Ask the Dwarf” thread.

From the quote I saw, I thought the scene (the one they’re filming in the movie) in question called for a dwarf, because putting a dwarf in a dream makes it weird by default, and a weird dream sequence was wanted. Obviously I need to go rent the movie.

If anything, I’d think a dwarf actor would be thrilled to be cast in a part that doesn’t specifically call for a dwarf, because a lot of such parts are guys in suits (think Ewoks) and while there’s nothing really wrong with that, there’s very very few serious dramatic parts out there written with us in mind, and, I expect, far fewer productions willing to cast one when the part wasn’t written for it.

And no, I don’t have his phone number. Too bad.

Right. I’ll go start that other thread now.