I have the weirdest ouchie.

A few days ago, my birthday actually, I developed a weird type of soar throat. I couldn’t figure it out, it wasn’t cold related or just a normal soar throat. So yesterday, I went to the doctors. The strep test came back negative, and we were a little bit puzzled.

“Let me look into your throat again,” said the doctor.

She peered in, and said “Ahhhh, that’s odd, here’s your problem.”

As it turns out, I have a canker sore on my uvula, the little thing hanging down the back of your throat. It hurts an insane amount, I haven’t swallowed normally for days, and I have to gargle with hydrogen peroxide, which tastes reminiscent of ahem male reproductive fluid (don’t ask how I know, but for those of you who know “clerks,” the term snowball comes to mind… ugh).

I’m in quite a bit of pain, and last night, I got 2 1/2 hours of sleep. I went to bed at one, fell asleep at 5:30, woke up at 8. Kill me.

Ow
Ow ow ow ow OW!

That sounds miserable. Have you asked your doctor for a novacaine gargle?

I don’t know why this works, but it does–at least for cankersores in the mouth. I usually suck a TUMS. It not only cuts down on the pain (due to acidic nature of your mouth??) it also causes the sore to go away a lot faster. Since yours is so far back in your throat, you may want to dissolve a couple in aglass of water and gargle.

Cepacol makes some cough drops that contain a numbing ingredient. They might help you some.

forgive me, but I want to spell ouchie, as “owchie”. That sounds like the sound I make when I hurt.